Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom Passphrase
01-10-20, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-20 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom Passphrase
I have an Axiom Pro-9 RVX with Quantum Radar connected via a network cable. I did not set-up a WI-Fi connection using the unit's SSID. However, when I try to connect my IOS device via WIFI it requires a passphrase. Since I do not know what the passphrase is I looked in the network screen only to find that the passphrase is *'d out. When I go to change it, the MFD displays a message warning me that the quantum radar connection will be lost if I change the passphrase. I looked in both manuals and could not find any information on what the default passphrase is or why the Quantum radar would still need this if it is connected via a network cable.

Can you provide more information on how the Wi-fi and the passphrase works, what the default passphrase is and why it is needed by a quantum radar unit connected via a network cable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-20, 02:44 PM
RE: [CA11] Axiom Passphrase
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum DFMott,

Regarding the fact that the currently configured passphrase is hidden, it may be made visible by selecting the SHOW CHARACTERS checkbox located beneath and to the right hand side of the Enter Passphrase dialog. Should you choose the << option to go back without clicking on the SAVE button within this dialog, then no changes will be made to the passphrase.

Should the system sense that is has been connected to a Quantum / Quantum 2 radome via Ethernet (i.e. Quantum Data Cable or Digital Radar Cable) then it will not be possible to command the MFD to pair with the radome via WiFi. For those who have paired one of the system's MFD with a Quantum / Quantum 2 radome and who desire to use one of Raymarine's Mobile Apps, then the mobile device will need to connect via WiFi to one of the system's other MFDs.
01-10-20, 11:24 PM
When I read your response I felt really dumb. Then when I went to the boat I felt better.

The dialog box you refer to only shows on the screen displayed after you press yes to the warning message that says "Connection to Quantum radar will be affected. Do you want to continue?" I think an improvement to the software would be to modify this message to read "Connection to Quantum radar may be affected if it is connected via Wi-Fi" since it would not be if you don't change the passphrase. Even better would be to not display the warning if the Quantum unit were not configured for Wi-Fi.

I changed the passphrase and the quantum still work and so does my remote control via the
01-13-20, 01:26 PM
DFMott,

Thanks for the additional product feedback. As you have suggested, communications with a wired Quantum/Quantum 2 radome would be unaffected. Should a non-wired Quantum/Quantum 2 radome also be powered ON when the WiFi passphrase was changed, I would likewise expect no impact to communications between the MFD and radome. A corresponding feature change will be recommended to only display the reported message when actually saving the passphrase and then only for non-wired Quantum/Quantum 2 radomes.

Please click here for more information concerning product and feature suggestions.