Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations
01-17-20, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-20 07:24 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations
Quick question.. Will mounting the ACU100 next to the EV1 be okay, or will the ACU100 likely cause magnetic interference to the EV1?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-20, 07:32 PM
RE: ACU-100 / EV-1 Locations
Hello jrock836,

You shouldn't do this. The ACU won't have much of a magnetic field when in Standby, but will have a larger (and, importantly, changing) magnetic field when it's handling larger amounts of current whilst the pilot is active. The likely effect is a fluctuating heading error on the EV whenever the pilot drives, which will then result in the pilot driving to try to correct the change in (apparent) heading and so on - a feedback loop which will result in very unpredictable pilot steering.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
01-20-20, 06:57 PM
(01-19-20 07:32 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello jrock836,

You shouldn't do this. The ACU won't have much of a magnetic field when in Standby, but will have a larger (and, importantly, changing) magnetic field when it's handling larger amounts of current whilst the pilot is active. The likely effect is a fluctuating heading error on the EV whenever the pilot drives, which will then result in the pilot driving to try to correct the change in (apparent) heading and so on - a feedback loop which will result in very unpredictable pilot steering.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom, that's what I figured, but I started second guessing myself when I saw the photo in this link. PracticalSailer.com gave the photo credit to Raymarine haha..

https://www.practical-sailor.com/marine-...stem-check
01-21-20, 01:10 AM
Hmmm! Personally I wouldn't recommend that, but installations on boats are always about compromises and you have to install where you can. We had a test boat a while back where we had a choice of mounting close to the windscreen-wiper motor, close to the anchor well, close to the pilot pump or close to the 2x radars.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.