Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Block diagram Oregon fishing boat with Axiom
01-19-20, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 08:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Block diagram Oregon fishing boat with Axiom
Hello
Can I get a review of this block diagram? Couple questions I have are...

Q1- do I need to go directly into the SeaTalkNG like shown or can I use NMEA 2000 Tees instead?

Q2- If I can use Tees is there a limit on how many I can Tee together in my particular situation?

Q3- Are my Airmar transducers configured correctly with the use of the Y cable?

Q4- Will I be able to view more than one transducer at a time?

Thanks in advance!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-20, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 10:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Block diagram Oregon fishing boat with Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum lukerabun,

Q1. Can I get a review of this block diagram?
A1. The block diagram is incorrect with respect to the following:

- No termination shown. A SeaTalkng Termination plug must be installed within each of the backbone's two unoccupied sockets. These sockets will be located at the extreme opposite ends of the backbone. More information concerning SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking here.

- A SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector features 3 spur sockets. A single product's Spur Cable or SeaTalkng Power Cable may be interfaced to a single spur socket. A SeaTalkng Power Cable may not be interfaced to a backbone socket.

- 600W and 1kW CHIRP transducers may not be interfaced to a Y-Cable. The A102146 is designed to accommodate mating two single frequency CHIRP transducers of the same family (ex. B175L & B175M; B75M & B75H; etc.)

- the autopilot's drive unit is not connected to the backbone ... it is connected to the motor terminals of the autopilot ACU.\

- the SeaTalkng Power Cable should be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit

- the spur socket used to power the backbone should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

- the Quantum radome's power cable should be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit

Note: should neither MFD be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor may be need to be installed and interfaced as a spur to the backbone.

Q1. do I need to go directly into the SeaTalkNG like shown or can I use NMEA 2000 Tees instead?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As suggested therein, it is recommended that backbones be constructed from networking components of a single manufacturer. As Evolution autopilot system packs already include SeaTalkng networking components, it is recommended that the backbone be constructed from SeaTalkng networking components rather than tossing or adapting them ... this represents a potential cost savings. Spur sockets may be added to the backbone using T-Pieces or 5-Way Connectors. The latter are useful for connecting closely located products to the backbone.

Q2. If I can use Tees is there a limit on how many I can Tee together in my particular situation?
A2. There are no restrictions to the number of T's which may be used.

Q3. Are my Airmar transducers configured correctly with the use of the Y cable?
A3. See notes above.

Q4. Will I be able to view more than one transducer at a time?
A3. Yes.
01-23-20, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 11:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, back to the drawing board. lol. I'll chew on this for a while and get back to with questions. This is the only question I have as of now is...

Can a 600W and 1KW transducer be integrated into my system with relative ease? If so what would that require?
Thank you
01-23-20, 11:56 AM
lukerabun,

Q. Can a 600W and 1KW transducer be integrated into my system with relative ease? If so what would that require?
A. Please indicate whether each transducer will be a CHIRP transducer or a 50kHz/200kHz transducer.
01-23-20, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 07:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q. Please indicate whether each transducer will be a CHIRP transducer or a 50kHz/200kHz transducer.
A. Yes both transducers will be CHIRP. Airmar B175HW & B75M
01-24-20, 09:02 AM
lukerabun,

The A102146 Paired CHIRP Transducer Y-Cable is designed to support connecting like transducers (ex. a B75M & B75H or B175L & B175M) to a 1kW CHIRP fish finding product (ex. Axiom Pro RV MFD, CP470, CP570). It is not possible to use the A102146 Paired CHIRP Transducer Y-Cable with two different types of CHIRP transducers (ex. B175HW & B75M). Should the B175HW & B75M both be installed on the vessel, then it would be necessary to interface the Axiom Pro RV MFD to another 1kW CHIRP fish finding product (Axiom Pro RV MFD, CP470, CP570). The second CHIRP transducers would then be interfaced to the additional 1kW CHIRP fish finding product. Please additionally not that the B75 CHIRP transducers must be mated to a Single Operation Cable (A80328) when not used in pairs of B75.
01-24-20, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 10:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
New a little clarification on a few of your Answers.

A. A SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector features 3 spur sockets. A single product's Spur Cable or SeaTalkng Power Cable may be interfaced to a single spur socket.. A SeaTalkng Power Cable may not be interfaced to a backbone socket.
Q. Are you saying the power must me plugged in to the 5 way?

Attached is another attempt at my block diagram.

I think may still need to balance my LEN.

Thanks Chuck

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-24-20, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 10:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
lukerabun,

Q1. Are you saying the power must me plugged in to the 5 way?
A1. Switch power via a SeaTalkng Power Cable must be plugged into a spur socket within the backbone. An available spur socket within a SeaTalkng T-Piece, SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector, or iTC-5 Analog Instrument Transducer Converter may be used for this purpose. As indicated, the available spur socket should be located in the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

Q2. Attached is another attempt at my block diagram.
A2. The diagram appears to be correct in all but the following aspects:

- the HS5 will not be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone

- no connection between the system's Data Master MFD and the backbone is shown ... this spur connection must be added to the diagram

- as you have suggested, the backbone's LEN load is not balanced and should be re-drawn to show that the power insertion spur is located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

- as indicated within the FAQ found here, it is considered to be a best installation practice that radomes and radar pedestals be installed on a dedicated breaker or dedicated switched power circuit permitting the radome or pedestal to be switched ON/OFF without affecting the power state of the system's other devices.
01-24-20, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 11:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So when I connect the data master (axiom Pro16) to the backbone how will that effect the LEN balance or will it since it has it's own power supply. If it does effect it what would be the LEN for the AP16?

Does it matter if the Quantum2 is connected to the HS5 switch or to the data master?

Is there a list of the LEN #s for these products somewhere or must I sift through the manuals for this info? Seems that most of them are a 1?

Thank you
01-24-20, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 11:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
lukerabun,

Q1a. So when I connect the data master (axiom Pro16) to the backbone how will that effect the LEN balance or will it since it has it's own power supply.
A1b. MFDs are neither designed to to supply power to a backbone nor be powered via their NMEA 2000 communications interface. The correspondingly have a very low LEN.

Q1b. If it does effect it what would be the LEN for the AP16?
A1b. The LEN for MFDs, which was specified within the previously linked FAQ addressing LEN loading, is 1.

Q2. Does it matter if the Quantum2 is connected to the HS5 switch or to the data master?
A2. Negative. However, it would be considered to be a best installation practice to have the MFDs and compatible Ethernet peripherals to be interfaced to one another via a network switch. When so interfaced, the radar transducers will be available to the system's other MFD should the Axiom Pro MFD be switched OFF or suffer a failure.

Q3. Is there a list of the LEN #s for these products somewhere or must I sift through the manuals for this info? Seems that most of them are a 1?
A3. As indicated within the he previously linked FAQ addressing LEN loading, the LEN values for currently produced Raymarine products may be found within the Specifications section of each product's respective installation guide. That said, except for the autopilot control head, all of the items which will be interfaced to the backbone and are shown within your diagram each have a LEN of 1. The autopilot control head has a LEN of 3.