Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer selection for axiom units
01-19-20, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-20 05:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer selection for axiom units
I want to install one or maybe 2 axiom units on my 42 sports cruiser. Trying to figure out the specs on the transducer but i just cant figure out what do i need, i guess i can find help here

About my boat and my use

Maxum 4200sy
Cruising usually at either 6 kts, 18 or 24kts. I Never fish. Presently boat had an older garmin with a thru hull transducer, a tr-1 autopilot.

I would want the transducer that could give me the best vision and security went going in shallow water, also give me the most vision possible of underwater or floating hazzards, mostly at higher speeds.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-20, 05:07 PM
RE: [CA11] Transducer selection for axiom units
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Which models of Axiom MFDs were installed onboard?
01-23-20, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 11:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
axiom 12 with 3d, and everything, the complete one
01-23-20, 01:39 PM
Jim,

Q. I would want the transducer that could give me the best vision and security went going in shallow water, also give me the most vision possible of underwater or floating hazards, mostly at higher speeds.
A. If not seeking to install a thru-hull transducer, then you may want to consider adapting (A80489) the Axiom RV MFD for use with an E66008 P79 In-Hull Depth Transducer. If seeking a thru-hull transducer, then then you may want to consider adapting (A80489) the Axiom RV MFD for use with an E66085 B60 20 Degree Tilted Elements thru-hull depth/temp Transducer. These transducers will not only support providing depth data to the system, but will also support keel / running gear offset, but will also support depth related alarms within the system. A side benefit is that these transducers will support 50kHz/200kHz Channels within the MFD's Fishfinder app. For non-fishing applications, the plots provided by the Fishfinder app can be useful in determining bottom trending, bottom structures, and bottom hardness (for anchoring).

If seeking to add numerical depth support only to the system, then a MFD and an Airmar DT800 20 degree tilted Smart Transducer (consult with Airmar, Inc. for part number and dealers) may each be added as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD will also be interfaced as a spur.