Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AXIOM MFD
01-22-20, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 04:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AXIOM MFD
With the current problem I'm experiencing with my E120 Classic, I'm considering replacing it with an AXIOM 12. One question I have is about the necessary transducer. I have two transducers now - an Airmar DST800-P17 235mHz Triducer (port) and Airmar B60-200-Ray 50/200
(depth + temp) stbd. The stbd xducer feeds a DSM300 on to the E120.
I don't do any fishing on my Sea Ray 500DA, and the network is about 10 yrs old.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-20, 11:20 AM
RE: [CA11] AXIOM MFD
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum seeray96,

Regarding the Airmar DST800, if this is a Smart version of this transducer and supports NMEA 2000 communications, then it may simply be interfaced to a spur socket with in the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The Axiom MFD will also be interfaced to a spur socket within this backbone. Should the Airmar DST800 instead support NMEA 0183 communications then it would need to be adapted (recommend Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG) and then adapter would in turn be interfaced to spur socket within the aforementioned backbone.

While it has been noted that you do not need fishfinding features, it has been noted that the components necessary to do so are already on the vessel. Please additionally note that the DSM30/300 fishfinder sounder modules are not officially supported for use with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Specifically, these system have not been specifically designed for use with nor officially tested with DSMs. However, anecdotal feedback from customers has indicated no issues thus far in using an operational DSM30/300 with Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL systems. Accordingly, should your DSM300 be operational, then you might want to try it out with the new Axiom system before either:
- replacing it with a CP370 fishfinder sounder module. In such cases, either an Axiom 12 (cost savings) or Axiom RV 12 MFD may be installed; or
- adapting (part# A80489) the transducer to be mated to the Axiom 12 RV's Transducer socket.

Should there later be any sign of issue with the DSM300, then the DSM300 and its Power Cable should be replaced with a CP370 and its Power Cable. When interfaced to these sounder modules and a compatible 50kHz/200kHz transducer, then the Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD will support 50kHz sonar imaging and 200kHz sonar imaging within the MFD's Fishfinder application. A DSM300 may be interfaced to an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via a cable assembly constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
01-23-20, 02:52 PM
Probably a dumb question, but how can I tell if the DST800-P17 235 mHz Triducer is a smart xducer?
01-23-20, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 04:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
seeray96

If the transducer were the Smart NMEA 2000 version of the DST800-P17 235 mHz Triducer, then its cable would be terminated with a DeviceNet (M) plug or white SeaTalkng spur plug. If the transducer were the Smart NMEA 0183 version of the DST800-P17 235 mHz Triducer, then its cable would be terminated with bare leads and would be interfaced power and to the NMEA 0183 input leads / terminals of a device onboard. If the transducer were the analog version of the DST800-P17 235 mHz Triducer, then its cable would be terminated with bare leads, to which 1/8" male blade connectors would typically be connected, permitting the transducer's leads to be connected to the transducer terminals of an instrument, instrument pod, or iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter.