Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Drift and auto helm failure
01-24-20, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-20 01:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Drift and auto helm failure
Seems that I have multiple issues developing with steering on my new-to-me 2006 Nauticat. The first issue I noticed was drift to port (constantly having to slowly turn upper helm to starboard to maintain a straight course). Then two trips later, on autopilot, the boat suddenly initiates a spin, and autopilot indicates a fail. After re-starting the nav system and on autopilot again for an hour, another sudden spin of the boat and auto pilot failure. I reverted to manual helms, and found that the lower helm exhibited slippage (6 rotations of the wheel) before I got engagement with the rudder, but then another 6 rotations in the opposite direction to engage the rudder for the opposite tack. Fortunately, the upper helm did not exhibit air in the line so continued on to my destination manually. At the dock, I isolated my auto helm by closing valves to all three lines running to it, which had the effect of reducing the drift I had been experiencing on my upper helm. The lower helm continued to exhibit air in the line. I have yet to bleed the air from my lines.
My question is: Could air in the line be the cause of my auto helm failure, and my drift seen in the upper helm? Confusing is that I see minimal leaked oil externally, and am at a loss where this air would have come from (at this age of system - 2006), and the fill line has been kept full.
The system is a Raymarine ST6001+ autopilot w/type 2 drive.
Your advice would be appreciated.
thank you.
Herb
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-20, 01:25 PM
RE: [CA11] Drift and auto helm failure
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum HerbandSplice,

Typically within below deck autopilots of the 2006 time frame, the reported issue would be symptomatic of a failing rate gyro, fluxgate compass, or introduction / operation of a device producing a magnetic field within the area of the fluxgate compass. Please note that the ST6001+ is not an autopilot, but is instead an autopilot control head which was compatible with many models of Raymarine autopilot course computers. What model of autopilot course computer has the ST6001+ been interfaced to?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply