Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] axiom 12 rv
01-17-20, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-20 11:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] axiom 12 rv
My present network consists of 1 E120mfd (legacy mfd)+ 1 E80mfd + various st 60+ S3G smartpilot . all these are networked through seatalk hs network switch e55058.

I want to keep all these legacy products and adding an Axiom 12 rv.

reading other threads, I understand and please confirm:

1. autopilot can't be interfaced to Axiom
2. Axiom can be interfaced to other instruments st60/legacy E120 with A80160 RayNet (F) to SeaTalkhs (F) Adapter. in other words Axiom 12rv connects to existing legacy network using the network switch e55058.

3. the adapter A80160 has the following note: The E-classic requires a "crossover" in the SThs data line, so this cable can only be used when connecting to the HS-5 Network Switch.
4. question: which crossover?

comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-20, 11:30 AM
RE: [CA11] axiom 12 rv
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Marcot,

Please accept our apology for this late response to your question. Please note that it is not possible to operate a MFD running LightHouse 3 software (i.e. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs) simultaneously within an existing Ethernet (SeaTalkhs / RayNet) network featuring E-Series Classic MFDs. While it may be possible to interface a a MFD running LightHouse 3 software to a powered and powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the system's Data Master E-Series Classic MFD (running v5.69 software) has also been interfaced as a spur, it will not be possible for cartography, radar, fishfinder features, or waypoint/route/track data to be shared via this interface. When interfaced via a common backbone, only GPS, instrument, navigational, and system state data will be shared between the system's MFDs. Please additionally note, that when so interfaced the system's Data Master E-Series Classic MFD would need to be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would need to be added to the aforementioned SeaTalkng backbone to support communications with the various st 60+ S3G smartpilot.
01-23-20, 08:01 AM
Chuck thankyou so much.
As far as I understand and please confirm:

1. Axiom need its cartography
2. E120 can be interfaced to Axiom via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 converter (Ray A06061) but no cartography, radar, fishfinder, waypoint/route/track data on the E120. cartography, radar, fishfinder, waypoint/route/track dataonly on the Axiom.

3.when you say "When interfaced via a common backbone" what is it?

5. if I add only the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter E22158, I disconnect the E120 (which will display only chart+gps) and the data of the various st 60+ S3G smartpilot will be on the Axiom.

all the best
Marco
01-23-20, 09:28 AM
Marcot,

Q1. Axiom need its cartography
A1. Correct

Q2. E120 can be interfaced to Axiom via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 converter (Ray A06061) but no cartography, radar, fishfinder, waypoint/route/track data on the E120. cartography, radar, fishfinder, waypoint/route/track dataonly on the Axiom.
A2. Cartography will only be available to the Axiom MFD if a compatible chart card is present within the Axiom MFD's memory card reader. Radar will only be available to the Axiom MFD if it has been interfaced via Ethernet communications to a Digital/HD Digital/Quantum/Quantum 2 radome or HD/SuperHD/Magnum open array radar system. Fishfinder features will only be supported by an Axiom MFD when the Axiom MFD has been interfaced to a compatible fishfinder transducer or has been interfaced via Ethernet communications to a compatible fishfinder sounder module(s) which in turn have been interfaced to a compatible transducer(s).

Q3.when you say "When interfaced via a common backbone" what is it?
A3. Click on the link provided within my initial response to learn more about how a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone is constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. The Data Master E-Series Classic MFD will be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via an A06061 E-Series to SeaTalkng Adaptor Cable. As Axiom MFDs feature a DeviceNet Socket (M) for SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications and per the FAQ found here, then one the following adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

Q4. if I add only the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter E22158, I disconnect the E120 (which will display only chart+gps) and the data of the various st 60+ S3G smartpilot will be on the Axiom.
A4. If the Data Master MFD is disconnected from the SeaTalk bus, you may well also be disconnecting it from its source of GPS data. I would recommend interfacing the Data Master E-Series MFD and Axiom MFD to the system as specified within this response and my initial response.
01-26-20, 02:39 AM
Chuck thanks
last question: the E-Series Classic MFD will be interfaced to the A06064 SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector which is 12v powered.
The E series is actually 24v .
what shall I do?

Marco
01-27-20, 10:30 AM
Marco,

Both a SeaTalk bus and SeaTalkng backbone are designed to be powered from a 12VDC power source. Accordingly, for vessels featuring a 24VDC power distribution system, it would be recommended that a commonly available 24VDC to 12VDC step down transformer be installed to supply power to the SeaTalkng backbone.
01-27-20, 11:10 AM
thankyou so much Chuck
marco