Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] raymarine axiom
01-23-20, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 06:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Brick [CA11] raymarine axiom
I have an Axiom 12 and have mounted it as a flat panel display in my dash. It appears it can not FIX on GPS satellites until about 15 minutes of waiting time. To alleviate this I plan to purchase gps antenna/receiver to solve the weakness in the Axiom. It looks like the only way to connect such a device is via nmea 2000 or seatalk ng (IE: there is no connection on the back of the Axiom to connect a GPS to). Am I correct ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-20, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-20 06:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] raymarine axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum gulfoslides,

For the benefit of others who may be viewing this thread, please click here to view a FAQ addressing when an external GPS sensor may be needed within a system. Unlike Axiom Pro & Axiom XL MFDs, Axiom MFDs do not feature an external passive GPS antenna socket to which an external GA150 Passive GPS Antenna may be connected. As Axiom MFDs feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, but do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, those seeking an external GPS sensor for an Axiom MFD will require a GPS sensor supporting NMEA 2000 communications (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor, AR200 Augmented Reality Sensor, etc.). Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a Raystar 150/130 GPS Sensor may be interfaced to MFD. This FAQ additionally addresses how a simple backbone may be constructed.
01-31-20, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 09:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, so I have a NMEA-2000 backbone. I bought a Garmin GPS 19x which outputs to NMEA-2000. I see the output of the 19x on the Axiom display so it is clearly on, and broadcasting. See this pic1 and pic2:

But when I go to the Axiom settings and select GPS and have the Axiom tell me what GPS elements it sees it only see's the internal Axiom GPS and not the Garmin 19x.
I did turn OFF the Axiom internal GPS as the default choice if GPS, but the Axiom still did not let me set the Garmin 19x as the default GPS.

I want to be able to tell the Axiom to use the Garmin 19x as the primary source of GPS input, but in the Axiom settings the 19x doesn't seem to get registered as choice. Why is that ?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-03-20, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-20 02:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
gulfoslides,

The reported symptom may indeed turn out to be an issue with LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software or with that of the third party GPS receiver. It would accordingly be recommended that the third party GPS manufacturer's website be checked to determine whether any software updates are available for the GPS receiver and if found to not be operating with the latest software, that the third party GPS receiver's software be updated before any further actions are undertaken. Should the third party GPS receiver's software be be up to date and should you not have performed a Power On Factory Reset following the LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software update, then it is recommended that this action be taken to address the reported symptom. Should the problem persist, then please respond accordingly and include the following diagnostice files in order to permit a problem report to be logged against the LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software update.

- the All Product Information File (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->VIEW ALL PRODUCT INFO->SAVE DATA) ... produces a file titled Diagnostics...json

- approximately 20 seconds of data after the third party GPS sensor has acquired a GPS position FIX (or approximately six minutes has passed since the system was powered ON) and the MFD's internal GPS receiver has been configured OFF. The command sequence HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->NMEA DEVICES AND MESSAGES->NMEA MESSAGES; RAW DATA->ON; START RECORDING).

Finally, it is possible that the MFD may utilize GPS data from the third party GPS sensor in spite of being unable to select it via the Data Sources feature. With the MFD's internal GPS receiver configured OFF, switch the MFD OFF, and then switch it back on again. Does the MFD report position data from the third party GPS sensor within the Data application and GPS status dialog? If not, has the GPS sensor been installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead?
02-05-20, 01:28 PM
RE: [CA11] raymarine axiom and GPS connections
So I think I've got this to work!

I did a "Factory Reset" AND I made sure the Garmin GPS 19x was ON BEFORE I powered up the Axiom. I'm not sure which of these two things did the trick, but now I see a lat/lon position pretty close to immediately on my chart (I added the "position" widget to my chart display).

It is still a BUG with the Axiom that it does not see the external GPS 19x when I go to look at what the Axiom believes are the available GPS sources. The list still only shows the Axiom's internal source (which I have turned off).
02-05-20, 02:55 PM
gulfoslides,

We are currently investigating a similar report involving a Maretron GP200 GPS. If supplied with the requested files, then these files and this report will be appended to the report addressing the Maretron GP200 GPS.