Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer question - Replacement for a 2006 Searay 380
02-02-20, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-20 02:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer question - Replacement for a 2006 Searay 380
Hi.
I have a 2006 Searay 380 with Yanmar diesels. I have replaced the ST60 Tridata with the i70 and the itc-5. Though I dont know how if the Transducers worked perfect prior to the change (I just bought the boat and switched things out), my temp and speed do not work at all and my depth works only 70% of the time. At times, I'll be in my slip and depth will jump to 300' and then slowly back itself down, and then start over again. It also sometimes just doesnt read. In addition, the depth on my old school Raymarine 120 classic is usually accurate, but then sometimes stops reading all together.
This spring, I am removing the 120 classic MFD and putting in a E127 MDF. I want to make sure my transducers are compatible, so I thought about replacing them. They are Airmen, but my searay manual says they are the following.
933853 TRANSDUCER, DEPTH RETRACTABLE VALOX RAYDATA(DIESEL ENGINES)
933861 TRANSDUCER, SPEED SELF SEALING VALOX RAYDATA
Here are my questions.
1. Does this sound like a transducer issue?
2. For new MDF, is there a better transducer that is more compatible with the i70 / e127, where I wont have to use the itc-5? These are the thru hull plastic transducers that have the screw top and plug. I do not want to change the sleeve in the hull.
3. If I replace the transducers, are there any other electronics that I will need to replace? (things between the transducer and MDF / i70 that I'm not aware of). I am moving things toward Seatalk NG

Thanks an advance for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-20, 02:32 PM
RE: [CA11] Transducer question - Replacement for a 2006 Searay 380
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum michels280,

Q1. Does this sound like a transducer issue?
A1. Without some testing, it would not be possible address this question. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the speed/temp transducer's thermistor. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a speed transducer. In order for the instrument to report an accurate depth, the vessel must be located in the water, and the face of the depth transducer must be free of marine growth, and the depth of the water beneath the transducer must be at least 3'. Should the latter two requirements have been met and should no or incorrect depth be reported, then it would be recommended that the depth transducer be tested by a Certified Raymarine Installer who is equipped with and EDI (or equivalent) depth transducer tester or that the transducer be replaced with and analog instrument depth-only transducer.

Q2. For new MDF, is there a better transducer that is more compatible with the i70 / e127, where I wont have to use the itc-5? These are the thru hull plastic transducers that have the screw top and plug. I do not want to change the sleeve in the hull.
A2. Transducers which were designed for use with ST60 instruments should indeed be compatible with the iTC-5. A transducer identification tag is affixed to the plug end of transducer cables by the transducer's manufacturer, Airmar, Inc.. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing where one may obtain parts for the currently installed transducers.

Q3. If I replace the transducers, are there any other electronics that I will need to replace?
A3. Negative.
02-11-20, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-20 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your help Chuck.

I do have another question...

With the add of the ES127 and the i70, if I replace the transducers, would it make sense to use the i70 smart transducers?
DT800-12 Plastic Transducer for example.
and am I correct that this would eliminate the need for the itc-5 with the use of my es127 and my i70.

Also, with my old analog airmen transducer, is this a direct fit without the need for replacing the mounting sleeve? I am not sure of the raymarine / airmen relationship.
02-11-20, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-20 03:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
michels280,

Q1. With the add of the ES127 and the i70, if I replace the transducers, would it make sense to use the i70 smart transducers?
A1. As the system will feature either an i70 or i70S MFID, you may indeed choose to install an i70/i70S Smart Instrument Transducer.

Q2. I correct that this would eliminate the need for the itc-5 with the use of my es127 and my i70.
A2. Yes.

Q3. Also, with my old analog airmen transducer, is this a direct fit without the need for replacing the mounting sleeve? I am not sure of the raymarine / airmen relationship.
A3. Not likely. Per my earlier response, A transducer identification tag is affixed to the plug end of transducer cables by the transducer's manufacturer, Airmar, Inc.. It would be recommended that Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) be consulted regarding whether the currently installed transducer housing will accept the DT800-12 Transducer insert.
02-12-20, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-20 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again Chuck. I appreciate your help.

Matt
02-13-20, 09:26 AM
You're welcome.