Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 7 transducer issues
02-04-20, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-20 11:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 7 transducer issues
Hi -

I own the axiom 7 with DV - and the CPT100dvs transducer. They came as a package from Raymarine on Amazon

So far, always inshore, it's been fine for depth and water temp. I never used the fishfinder or read the bottom, since I fish in depths of 5' or less. However I am starting to fish deeper offshore water (40-60') and want to be able to see structure details (concrete debris, sunken barges, etc), so I know where I am on the structure to best target specific fish (sheepshead for example, like to be right beside or in structure, and one foot off means no bite).

I went yesterday to the whitewater reef off hilton head, sc, and found it very difficult to see specific details of what was beneath me. I'm hoping this was user error somehow - I see video online from this same transducer (i think) and what i was seeing on mine didn't look as detailed.

My questions:

1) will my axiom 7 unit work with a different transducer, like the real vision RV transducer, or are the axiom 7 units themselves configured for EITHER downvision OR Realvision.side vision? I find it hard to believe that the axiom 7 MFD itself would come as two different units, and that choice is now permanent.
2) is my current unit and transducer capable of what I'm hoping for?
3) how can I make this unit do what I'd like it to do - seeing details, knowing what I'm on and where I'm on it etc. what are my options?

Thanks!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-20, 11:18 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 7 transducer issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

General comments:

- ensure that the MFD has been updated with LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 or later software, as improvements were made to sonar processing

- should imaging issues persist, attach screen snapshots and/or video showing the sonar performance when operating around structure. Be certain to overlay the Fishfinder application's screen with SOG prior to taking any such screen snapshots or video.

- attach photos of the transducer installation location, particularly with respect to hull features (chines, strakes), trim tabs, and outboard / outdrive / prop, as well as with respect to the bottom of the hull. Additionally attach photos of the hulls bottom and indicate whether it features any steps.

Q1. will my axiom 7 unit work with a different transducer, like the real vision RV transducer, or are the axiom 7 units themselves configured for EITHER downvision OR Realvision.side vision?
A1. Unfortunately, the sonar circuity within Axiom 7 DV MFDs is exclusively designed to produce DownVision and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging. RealVision and SideVision sonar imaging may be added to the system by interfacing the Axiom 7 DV MFD to either another MFD having internal RV sonar circuitry (ex. Axiom RV MFD or Axiom Pro RVX MFD) or to a RVX1000 RealVision Sounder Module, which in turn has been interfaced to a RV transducer.

Q2. is my current unit and transducer capable of what I'm hoping for?
A2. Negative. The A80351 CPT-100 DVS - DownVision Transducer is exclusively designed to support DownVision and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging.

Q3. how can I make this unit do what I'd like it to do - seeing details, knowing what I'm on and where I'm on it etc. what are my options?
A3. See comments and response to Q1.
02-04-20, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-20 01:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the prompt response.

Are you saying that the Axiom 7 and CPT-100dvs I own are not capable at all of seeing structure beneath the boat such as man made reefs (concrete debris, sunken barges, pilings etc)? If not, what is the purpose of the downvision? thanks
02-04-20, 02:07 PM
Greg,

Q. Are you saying that the Axiom 7 and CPT-100dvs I own are not capable at all of seeing structure beneath the boat such as man made reefs (concrete debris, sunken barges, pilings etc)? If not, what is the purpose of the downvision? thanks
A. That's not at all what my response indicated. You had asked how RealVision 3D and SideVision capabilities may be added to the product ... and my responses to your questions specifically addressed those item. DownVision and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging are certainly capable of such, but would require that such objects pass within the DownVision and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging cone which is much more narrow than that of RealVision and SideVision sonar imaging.

If imaging issues are occurring when passing over structures, then the opening comments within my initial response should be heeded.
02-04-20, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-20 02:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK, this is great news then. I will further explore my settings etc, and may have more transducer/sonar related questions. I appreciate your help. Thanks again
02-04-20, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-20 10:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Here's a youtube video demonstrating "downvision" which my CPT100dvs has - however, in the comments, someone says the 3d RV unit is needed for this. Is mine capable of this type of imaging? You can see distinct features like the mast of a boat etc. thanks!!

Here's the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sXAs8oko3A
02-05-20, 10:42 AM
Greg,

All video imaging which I saw within the video's images is produced from DownVision and/or low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging which would indeed be supported by the A80351 CPT-100 DVS - DownVision Transducer.