Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] RV100
03-09-20, 06:09 PM
RE: [TG11] RV100
Thanks Tom,

I think the last time I was out on the reef I would have been running Low, High chirp, side view and chart in my split.

If the weather comes good in a few weeks or so i'll try and head out to the reef again and run the tests again in the deep water and get some screen shots in full auto for all sonar frequencies.

I did has some one suggest that the TM needed to be deeper. I would have thought that it could have still been ploughing too much. The inside edge of the TM is just above hull level and the outside edge is about 20mm below the hull. I did have it 10mm lower when i first set it up and i feel the image was worse. I might even do the turning trick and see if turning either way improves the image.

I might put a little bit of marine sealant on the transom bracket for the TM too just to see if that may help take out a wee bit of vibration or cushion it a bit. I have only done the screws at present since i have had to fiddle with the height and didn't really want to peel sealant off the transom every time i had to shift something.

I'll keep you posted on when i can get back out in the boat and do some more testing and trialing.

The last resort that i had in mind was going to thru hull transducer pairs. Can they still suffer vibration issues? Only thing that made me reluctant in the first place was putting two 100mm holes in the hull of a 2 year old boat. If they didn't work properly i'd cry and my wife wouldn't be impressed.

Anyway i'll keep you posted on how i progress trying to perfect my system.

Thank you very much for your assistance to date and i'll be in touch.

Kind Regards

Ryan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-20, 12:18 AM
Good Afternoon Tom,

I have another question in relation to trying to minimise interference (if electrical). I looked through the use of RF / EMI snap on chokes in the search section of the forum. I have a question from what i have read to date. If you have to put up to 6 chokes on some power sources, do you know what "material" the choke has to be??? the more i look in to these chokes the more types there seems to be. I was going to source some through RS Online. They have a lot of electronic supplies at very good prices. But looking that their selections they have different materials for different frequencies? Do you have any idea of the material that the power lead chokes are on the Ray units? From what i have seen thus far, there are Type 31, 43, 44, 61, 75 material (Fair-Rite Brand) that all do different things. I don't have a clue as to which one is best to use for taking out potential electrical noise from my system.

If you have any pointers that would be greatly appreciated. If i could simply move all my wiring for the MFD and transducer cables to the port side of my boat i'd do it. But i'm not real keen on trying to get under the floor of my Caribbean.

Are there any general rules for how much distance between transducer cables and power cables is acceptable? The opposite side of the boat is great in theory but not in practice. I can probably get about 100mm separation where they run under the side pockets of my boat. That's why i'm thinking of seeing if simple clip on chokes could help minimise any noise that could be in the engine wiring harness, or power supply leads that runs to the dash with the transducer cables.

I might be clutching at straws by hoping some simple chokes on some power cables will help but it will be cheaper and far easier than other options going through my head at present.

thanks again
Ryan

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-22-20, 08:15 PM
Hello Ryan,

I would suggest not investing a huge amount of effort into working out how to eliminate interference until we know where it's coming from.

Re. transom/bracket vibration, a simple and temporary test might be to put a bit of rubber (e.g. car floor-mat material) between the bracket and transom and see whether that helps. As long as you use the same 65/15/0 you can easily see whether you do or do not have the same level of interference in a quick test run, without having to go all the way out to deep water or the reef. Always use that same setup for testing.

If it turns out that separating power supplies makes no improvement, and neither does damping transducer/transom vibration, then perhaps you are picking up electromagnetic interference (EMI) on the transducer cable. If that is the case then ferrite beads/chokes on transducer and power cables *may* help, but I won't pretend to be any kind of expert on these. There's some information on choosing ferrites at https://resources.altium.com/pcb-design-...-right-one, but as I say, I wouldn't bother with this until you know that you need to.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.