Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Transducer for Axiom RV 9 inch
02-06-20, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-20 02:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Transducer for Axiom RV 9 inch
I have and Axiom RV 9 inch display that I want to connect a depth sounder transducer. I have this on a sailboat. Of course I don't have a 0 degree angle on my hull to mount a single transducer and really don't want to buy a pair of transducers. Is there a way to mount a single transducer like the RV300 on an angled hull using a fairing block of some kind? What options might I have for a transducer. I'm really not a fisherman, so having a great fish finder is not important to me. Looking for a cheap alternative to adding a depth sounder to the Axiom RV display. Note I also have another depth sounder so this would just be a secondary depth sounder for redundancy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-20, 02:21 PM
RE: [CA11] Transducer for Axiom RV 9 inch
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum NordicSunII,

One of the primary keys to any sonar imaging is to ensure that the transducers are afforded a non-aerated flow of water across the face of the transducers. For sailing applications, transducers will typically be located forward of the keel, approximately 1/3 aft of the forward most point of the waterline. Many boat manufacturers will specify and/or provide hull features to support installation of transducers within a location which will maximize sonar performance. As the advanced fishfinder sonar imaging (RealVision 3D, DownVision, and SideVision) are not typically of a concern to a sailboater, a low profile 600W 50kHz/200Hz transducer or CPT-S transducer will typically be installed to support conventional bottom imaging. As fishfinder transducer cables should not be cut / modified to permit installation, those installing a single MFD onboard which will be located in helm binnacle pod would be advised to install a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module below decks to which a CPT-S transducer would be connected. The CP100 DownVision Sounder Module would then be interfaced either to the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
02-12-20, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-20 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
If I already have a Axiom 9 RV unit doesn't it have sonar capability built into it? Why would I also need to buy a CP100 downvision unit? Can I hook CPT-S transducer directly to the Axiom 9 RV display, with out having to by the CP100 unit?
02-12-20, 09:08 AM
NordicSunII,

Q1. If I already have a Axiom 9 RV unit doesn't it have sonar capability built into it?
A1. Yes.

Q2. Why would I also need to buy a CP100 downvision unit?
A2. Per the FAQ found here, fishfinder transducer cables should not be cut / modified / spliced. The cables of fishfinder transducers typically feature a large plug ... too large to be chased through a binnacle tube. As such, for sailing vessels where a MFD will be installed within a binnacle pod, should the fishfinder transducer cable's plug be too large to be chased to the MFD, then it would be recommended that the system's fishfinding processor (i.e. fishfinder sonar module or compatible MFD featuring internal fishfinder sonar circuitry) be installed below decks (ex. at the navigation station, access panel, etc.) and that it in turn be networked via Ethernet communications to the binnacle mounted MFD. The installed fishfinder transducer may then more easily be interfaced to the fishfinder processor below decks.

Q3. Can I hook CPT-S transducer directly to the Axiom 9 RV display, with out having to by the CP100 unit?
A3. If it is possible to chase the fishfinder transducer's cable to the Axiom 9 RV MFD without cutting / modifying / splicing the fishfinder transducer's cable, then this is certainly possible. However, should the condition described within my response to Q2 apply, then it would be necessary to install a fishfinder processor below deck and then network it to the MFD.
02-12-20, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-20 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
How big are the connectors cables for a CPT-S transducer to connect directly to my Axiom 8 RV display? My Axiom 9 RV is not installed on binnacle. It is installed over the companionway. I think I have plenty of room to bring a big connector through the passageways leading to the display. Will using a CPT-S transducer provide the same display as those real vision sonar unit transducers? How can I compare the different displays so I don't what I might not get going with a CPT-S transducer over the other sonar transducers?
02-13-20, 09:23 AM
NordicSunII,

General comment: As indicated, the cable chasing components provided previously address installations involving pod mounted MFDs ... which is not the case in your situation. Few installation where the MFD will be installed within a helm, navigation station, companionway, etc. will significantly impair the ability to chase transducer or other cables.

Q1. How big are the connectors cables for a CPT-S transducer to connect directly to my Axiom 8 RV display?
A1. Assume typo as Raymarine does not offer an Axiom 8 RV MFD. The CPT-S transducer's plug has a maximum diameter of approximatey 7/8".

Q2. Will using a CPT-S transducer provide the same display as those real vision sonar unit transducers?
A2. RealVision transducers will support RealVision, DownVision, SideVision, and low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging. Panes displaying each of these types of sonar imaging may be found within the screen snapshot below). CPT-S transducers will only support low power / high frequency CHIRP conical sonar imaging (i.e. the sonar imaging displayed within the upper left hand pane of the screen snapshot below).

[Image: rvx1000-all-in-one-sonar.jpg]