Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Estimated fuel / fuel flow rate calibration
02-15-20, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-20 10:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Estimated fuel / fuel flow rate calibration
I have a 2019 Suzuki 200 and my estimated fuel is not accurate. I ran out of fuel, when the estimated fuel was 9 gallons.

I'm diligent about running the boat only while my MFD is powered on.

Is there a way to calibrate fuel flow rate?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-20, 10:34 AM
RE: [CA11] Estimated fuel / fuel flow rate calibration
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum JeepSWAG,

Unfortunately, fuel flow calibration of third party products is not supported by Raymarine products. The Fuel Manager feature simply sums the incremental fuel usage reported by the engine system. It would be recommended that Suzuki be contacted regarding whether such calibration may be performed via any Suzuki equipment. I did find a related discussion on Suzuki's Outboard Forum.
02-20-20, 07:49 PM
Thank Chuck. I'll add this to the wish list. Would be nice to have as part of the lighthouse software and is pretty simple math.
02-21-20, 09:29 AM
You're welcome.
02-21-20, 11:56 AM
Just to follow up. Via the Suzuki link that you gave me, I was able to learn the following;

Question;
"I have a new DF200 and have it connected to a Raymarine MFD via NMEA 2000 network. I do not have a C10 gauge. Is there any way to calibrate the data output on the engine side?"

Answer;
No.

When you calibrate, you are actually calibrating an equation that resides in the engine interface cable’s software. The display that is used to do the calibration is simply like a computer keyboard that is accessing the interface software and making some adjustments to the fuel data equation.

So its not the engine itself being calibrated.

The following network displays can do the calibration:

C-10 or Simrad IS35 (same thing)
Suzuki SMIS gauge (same as Lowrance LMF400 or 200)
any Lowrance MFD that can display engine data eg all HDS series, and Elite Ti and Ti2. Elite Chirp cant do it.
any Simrad Display that can display engine data eg all NSS, NSO, GO series models.

You can attach any of these displays to the network temporarily, do the calibration, then remove them. The easiest ones to use for this will be C-10, SMIS or LMF, simply because then dont need to be connected to power to work - they get their operating power via their connection to the network. The others will have to have their power cables connected to 12v as well as being plugged into a network T with a network drop cable. Most Suzuki dealers will have a C-10 or SMIS sitting around their workshop to do initial interface configurations and calibrations.

Ask your local dealer if they will loan one to you, its a quick job half an hour will see it done easily including attaching the display to the network and taking it off again. The callibration process takes only a minute. But, it usually has to be done several times, the system only allows small incremental changes each time. Detailed instructions in the sticky thread on Suzuki networks near the top of this forum, the attached info paper to that thread.

The reason that it has to be one of these is because the Suzuki engine interface is made by Navico, who also make Lowrance and Simrad. Its programmed in their proprietary code so therefore needs a Navico display to talk to it. C10 is really a Simrad IS35 gauge with customized Suzuki features.
02-21-20, 02:33 PM
Noted.