Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] DVD Camera recording unit to GS195?
02-17-20, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-20 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] DVD Camera recording unit to GS195?
I've run the HDMI output of the camera security system aboard through an HDMI to SDI converter. The MFD does not recognize the signal despite the conversion/boost. I am networking 3 GS units as well as one Axiom. I have a Ray 200 camera for the stern, and I'll be adding a Flir.

What is the best path forward to setting all of this up for quality access and sharing amidst the displays?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-20, 03:25 PM
RE: [CA11] DVD Camera recording unit to GS195?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rtrafford,

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations to offer with regard to converting HDMI to SDI. I generally recommend that any third party adapters, IP cameras, or encoders be purchased only with the option to return if found to not be compatible with the system. Please note that the CAM200IP is, as its name suggests, is an IP video camera. As such, the CAM200IP supports streaming video via Ethernet communications. Such cameras may be interfaced to the Ethernet port of a gS-Series MFD or an Ethernet network switch (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SeaTalkhs Network Switch, etc.) to which the system's MFDs and other compatible Ethernet devices (ex. FLIR thermal camera, fishfinder sounder module, SiriusXM Wx/radio receiver, etc.) will be interfaced. It would be recommended that a company specializing in video processing be consulted regarding the best video product to convert HDMI to SDI and then to split SDI. Alternatively, you may want to consider a HDMI encoder to stream the video, permitting it (like that from the CAM200IP) to be shared with all of the system's MFDs via Ethernet communications. Should a FLIR thermal camera having an NTSC video output be selected, then as indicated within the FAQ found here, an Axis M7011 Video Encoder may be used to encode the video from the FLIR thermal camera to be shared among the system's MFDs.
02-24-20, 09:11 AM
I'll try the Axis decoder as the camera system does have an RJ45 port meant for network access. Hadn't thought of that avenue as my focus was on the existing output ports for obvious video, either the HDMI, SDI, or VGA options. I have a hunch the Axis might accomplish the mission.

If I am successful in delivering the video signal to the master gS 195, and considering the existing power cable BNC port is occupied by the Ray rear view camera, would the auxiliary Video-In port for BNC on the unit permit that signal to then be shared to the other stations via the "Camera 2" selector in the settings? Or would it be better to deliver that camera signal to one of the slave stations using the port on its power cable?

Thank you, Chuck.
02-24-20, 10:09 AM
rtrafford,

General comment: Unlike analog NTSC / PAL video which is supplied to an Axiom Pro or Axiom XL MFDs, analog NTSC / PAL video which is supplied to the analog NTSC/PAL video port(s) of an a/c/e/eS/gS Series MFD will not be encoded by the MFD for use by the system's other MFDs. Should the system feature video sources such as deck/engine room/backup cameras supporting analog NTSC video output or a thermal camera featuring a NTSC video output and should it be desired that video from these devices be available to more than one MFD within the system a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs then one of the following options would need to be employed to supply video from these devices to the system's MFDs:

a) connect the NTSC video output of each analog NTSC camera and thermal camera to a video encoder (ex. AXIS M7011, etc.), which in turn will be connected to a network switch or available Ethernet Network (RayNet). The benefit of this method is that it will typically require the least amount of additional hardware and wiring.

b) Install a quality amplified analog video splitter(s) (recommend consulting a company specializing in video amplification and splitting) and then connect the amplifier/splitter to the analog NTSC/PAL video input port of each MFD on which you desire to view such video.

Q1. would the auxiliary Video-In port for BNC on the unit permit that signal to then be shared to the other stations via the "Camera 2" selector in the settings?
A1. Negative. See the general comment above.

Q2. Or would it be better to deliver that camera signal to one of the slave stations using the port on its power cable?
A2. If electing to use a MFD's analog NTSC/PAL video input ports, either port may be used. However, as indicated in the general comment above, analog NTSC / PAL video which is supplied to the analog NTSC/PAL video port(s) of a gS Series MFD will not be encoded by the MFD for use by the system's other MFDs.