Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] replacing dual c70's
02-21-20, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-20 04:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] replacing dual c70's
I currently have 2 old c70's on a 2006 290 SeaRay Sundancer. The previous owner intended to used the port side as a chartplotter and the starboard for radar (the radome is installed but was never hooked up). I was thinking of replacing both of them with the Axiom 9RV's but I am wondering if I would really need both? That being said...I have 2 holes and wouldn't mind having 2 screens. I need suggestions on what would make the most sense. Budget is not a huge concern, but we only use the boat for cruising in the Chesapeake and in rivers, not for fishing. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-20, 04:56 PM
RE: [CA11] replacing dual c70's
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mdolesh,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. I believe that you're on the correct path in getting a pair of Axiom 9 MFDs. When properly interfaced to one another, they will share all system resources and data. The second MFD will also provide a level of redundancy to the system. If operational, the currently installed GPS sensor may be adapted for use by the new MFDs. Better yet, I would recommend that you consider replacing the currently installed GPS sensor with an AR200 (provides both GPS and heading data to the system). If you desire radar features, then the currently installed radome would need to be replaced. For this application, I would recommend that it be replaced with a Quantum 2 radome. Given the age of the vessel, it is quite possible that the engines feature Mercury Marine's SmartCraft technology, which may permit them to be interfaced to the marine electronics to not only support displaying engine data, but to also support use of the LightHouse 3 Fuel Manager feature.
02-21-20, 05:20 PM
Thank you very much Chuck! I read that post prior to submitting my questions and found a lot of useful information. The boat does have SmartCraft technology. How does that all hook up to the Axioms? Also, would the current thru hull transducer still work (not sure of the model #) or would I need a different one?
02-21-20, 05:39 PM
mdolesh,

Q1. The boat does have SmartCraft technology. How does that all hook up to the Axioms?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In this case, a SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 engine gateway would be recommended.

Q2. Would the current thru hull transducer still work (not sure of the model #) or would I need a different one?
A2. The answer would be dependent upon the make and model of the transducer. Should you attach a photo of the transducer's identification tag (typically affixed to the plug end of the transducer's cable, then we may be able to positively identify the transducer and advise further.