Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Es98 wifi connection
06-25-17, 11:17 AM
Es98 wifi connection
I recently had all new Raymarine electronics installed (MFD preloaded with Navionics USA, chirp Radom, EV autopilot and associated transducers) and am quite pleased with everything, except the wifi communication, which is thus far non-existent. I have followed all the instructions closely.

Please understand, the es98 DOES communicate with my iPad & iPhone (mirror screen works great), but the MFD cannot find ANY wifi connections when searching... including my iPhone hot spot (even though it is properly paired). I have also already put my radar (chirp) on standby as instructed, but still no wifi... yet there are MANY access points at my marina. Can you pls help?

As an aside... my Navionics app also does not recognize that it's connected as well, thus I cannot transfer any routes, etc between devices as advertised. I'm separately working with the techs at Navionics too). Not sure if these two issues are related, but it seems logical that they may be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-17, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-17 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Es98 wifi connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum bbistis,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As Raymarine's Mobile Apps are communicating correctly with the MFD, it would seem very unlikely that there is an issue with your MFD's Wi-Fi communications circuitry.

It is recommended that all apps, including those running in the background be closed (YouTube has several videos addressing how to close background apps which may be of assistance). Should the
- MFD's Wi-Fi (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI) be configured to ON, and
- should the MFD's Wi-Fi not list any Wi-Fi access points (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI NETWORKS) not list any Wi-Fi access points, and
- should one's mobile device list Wi-Fi access points in the vicinity of the vessel,
then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

The Wi-Fi Networks configuration setting is used to support product software updates via the MFD's Wi-Fi communications interface and to support Theyr Weather. However, when seeking to use Raymarine Mobile Apps or Navionics Boating app, the Wi-Fi Sharing feature (HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI SHARING) is used. Should the Raymarine Mobile Apps or Navionics Boating app fail to establish communications with the MFD, then it is recommended that you verify that the MFD has been updated with latest available Raymarine product software update and that all apps (including background apps) be closed on the mobile device except for the single app which will be communicating with the MFD.
06-29-17, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-17 07:51 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thx for your response Chuck. I have done everything as instructed, yet still no wifi access points are listed on my new es98. I understand now that it may be defective and must be returned to a Raymarine repair facility (I believe my closest is in New Hampshire). In the interest of saving time, so that I can get back out onto the water and enjoy all the new toys, may I bring it directly to the facility a wait for the repair? Pls let me know ASAP, and/or how I might else expedite the warrantee repair. Thx.
06-30-17, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-17 08:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
bbistis,

Please review the FAQ referenced within my initial response, as I still have concerns that your MFD's Wi-Fi communications circuitry is working properly. Please don't confuse an inability to connect with a Wi-Fi access point with an access point not being listed by the MFD.

While it is certainly possible to drop a product to be serviced off at Raymarine's Product Repair Center to eliminate the time lost in shipping the product to Raymarine, the Repair Center will not be able to repair the product while you wait. Typical repair times are 7-10 business days after the Repair Center has received the product.
06-30-17, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-30-17 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sorry Chuck, but I'm a bit confused now... I've reviewed the FAQ and understand the limitations re:Class A, and have done as you've instructed to try the iPhone hot spot (no Class A conflict) to no avail, so I assumed there must be something else wrong with the es98 that cannot be resolved without repair centers assistance. If this is incorrect, pls let me know. Thx.
06-30-17, 12:01 PM
bbistis,

When the HOME->SET-UP->WIRELESS CONNECTIONS->WI-FI->WI-FI NETWORKS command is issued, is a list generated ... I'm not seeking to know whether you can connect to any of the listed networks, but simply whether any are listed. If so, then the MFD's Wi-Fi circuitry is functioning properly. If not, then the MFD should be sent to Raymarine's Product Repair Center.
06-30-17, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-17 02:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thx Chuck... no, nothing is listed... thus I will return it to the repair facility as you advised. As always, appreciate your quick reply.
06-30-17, 02:56 PM
You're welcome.