Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
importing .gpx to MFD
06-07-16, 10:25 AM
importing .gpx to MFD
I am trying to load waypoints onto my ES128. There are approx 3000 of them. They are in 2 files. The MFD only takes about 90 of them then errors "card in use retrieving failed". How do I load them?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-16, 11:03 AM
RE: importing .gpx to MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rltrbill,

The reported symptom is typically the result of attempting to import data which violates one of more of the waypoint/route/track constraints of the MFD. The GPX file, or application used to create the problematic GPX file should be used to correct any of these violations and then the GPX files may be then imported. One of the most useful programs which I have used for this purpose is GPSUtility.
07-27-16, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure a new thread I created explaining my same issue went through so I'm repeating it here.
I'm trying to do the same thing with my new a127 and a95. I get the same “Card in use retrieving failed” message. I've gone through every waypoint in my waypoints.gpx file and none violate Raymarine protocols. I've even tried reformatting the card to FAT32 (I use MAC).

Attached File(s)
.gpx  Cttyhnk-MHD.gpx (Size: 1.42 KB / Downloads: 396)
.gpx  MHD REDBROOK.gpx (Size: 1.42 KB / Downloads: 426)
.gpx  Mystic-Cttyhnk.gpx (Size: 2.62 KB / Downloads: 384)
.gpx  Nwpt-Mystic.gpx (Size: 2.8 KB / Downloads: 374)
.gpx  RedBrook-Newprt.gpx (Size: 1.6 KB / Downloads: 370)
.gpx  Waypoints.gpx (Size: 84.37 KB / Downloads: 493)
07-27-16, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-16 10:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ron,

As suspected, the GPX files include waypoint names which violate of the constraints referenced within this thread. As an example, there are several waypoint names within the Waypoints.gpx file which exceed the 16 character maximum for waypoint names. This was quickly and easily verified using GPS Utility to open the GPX file and then adjusting the column width of the Waypoint Name column to 16 characters.
07-27-16, 10:33 AM
You are completely correct! Thank you Chuck. BTW, GPS Utility is not available to those of us who use a MAC computer. I use MacENC to plan and when you open the "Waypoints" drop down and go to "Open", you are able to adjust the column "Name" to show sixteen characters. Beyond sixteen is indicated by an ellipsis. Thank you again Chuck.
07-27-16, 11:03 AM
You're welcome.
07-27-16, 03:35 PM
Well, here's a continuing report on my problem.
MHD Redbrook "retrieving complete". No name conflicts because it was the first route I transferred.
Redbook Newport: name conflict warning. I checked "don't copy for all" and "card in use retrieving failed" came up.
Newport Mystic: I clicked don't copy" for one of the waypoints and "card in use retrieving failed" came up.
Mystic Cuttyhunk clicking one at a time "copy and replace" is worked.
Went back to do MHD Redbrook using copy and replace each waypoint and it worked.
Same for Redbrook Newport
Newport Mystic worked until "G35 Mystic RVR". This waypoint is the first in another route that did work, clicking one at a time for name conflict and choosing "copy and replace". There are 27 waypoints in the route (below the 200 allowed).
I then came back to the computer and deleted the G35 from waypoints, the Newport Mystic route and the Mystic Cuttyhunk route (which worked before). I then created the G35 waypoint and added it back in to all of the above.
Then reloaded the card with everything new (routes and waypoint file).
Now, at the boat:
Erased all data on the system.
Under waypoint groups "all waypoints" 945 are still showed.
Today's waypoints 895 are still showing.
Unsorted 945 are still showing
But only the number 945 or 895 or 945 are showing. When I press each category seperatly nothing (0) waypoints show for a number.
So, I restarted the a127
It then showed zero for all categories.
I then inserted my user card into slot 2 and the card was not recognized as being in the MFD.
I then shut down the MFD and restarted it. The MFD was able to read card slot two after the reset.
G35 was still the problem. "Card in use retrieving failed" for the Newport Mystic route clicking one at a time for name conflict and choosing "copy and replace.
When I tried to load the waypoint files "card in use conflict" and could not acknowledge OK. MFD was frozen had to shut down manually.
After The restart I started to load the waypoints one at a time because of name conflict and then got tired of doing that. I checked "do this for all" and pressed "copy and replace" (for all) and It went through with no problem.
So the issues are I can't "do this for all" and that "G35 Mystic RVR" waypoint.
Sorry this is so long and maybe a little convoluted.
07-27-16, 04:32 PM
Ron,

Please attach your revised .gpx files to this thread.
07-27-16, 04:58 PM
Here they are... I thought I had but I guess not...

Attached File(s)
.gpx  Waypoints.gpx (Size: 84.31 KB / Downloads: 1391)
.gpx  RedBrook-Newprt.gpx (Size: 1.6 KB / Downloads: 412)
.gpx  Nwpt-Mystic.gpx (Size: 2.8 KB / Downloads: 535)
.gpx  Mystic-Cttyhnk.gpx (Size: 2.62 KB / Downloads: 401)
.gpx  MHD-RedBrook.gpx (Size: 1.42 KB / Downloads: 370)
.gpx  Cttyhnk-MHD.gpx (Size: 1.41 KB / Downloads: 412)
07-28-16, 10:41 AM
Ron,

I have successfully imported each of your GPX files except for Nwpt-Mystic.gpx. When importing routes containing waypoints which have been previously entered, it is recommended that the options to:
- DO THIS FOR ALL WAYPOINT NAME CONFLICTS be selected, and
- COPY & REPLACE
be selected. Upon inspection of Nwpt-Mystic.gpx file, it was determined that waypoint "R6 Mystic RVR" had erroneously been duplicated within the waypoint sequence (i.e. the 11th and 12th waypoints of the route were both "R6 Mystic RVR". Removal of this duplicate waypoint within the route, then permitted the route to be imported by the MFD (see Nwpt-Mystic2.gpx attached to this response).

Attached File(s)
.gpx  Nwpt-Mystic2.gpx (Size: 2.71 KB / Downloads: 378)