Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AirMar Ultrasonic Temp/depth wiring
02-24-20, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-20 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AirMar Ultrasonic Temp/depth wiring
My current system includes i70 displays, E75 multifunction, st60wind, p70autopilot and legacy st80 multifuntion displays connected through st/nt adapter.
Everything works great. I would like to replace my paddlewheel airmar speed/temp with their newer ultrasonic Multilog Sensor which has an NMEA 2000 output model.
Current speed/temp and depth sensors connect through old st80 pod.
The sensor housings should be compatible.
Question is should I wire new sensors to st80pod or wire direct to my new style backbone ?
also, will I need an adapter to connect and will the st80 displays still be able to function without going through the pod.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-20, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-20 10:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] AirMar Ultrasonic Temp/depth wiring
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ric,

General comment: as may have been noted previously, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is not supported (i.e. has not been designed and tested) for use with ST80 instruments. That said, I'm glad to learn that you have thus far experienced success.

I assume that you meant to indicate that you have an eS75 MFD rather than an E75 MFD.

Q1. The sensor housings should be compatible.
A1. It is recommended that Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) be contacted to verify compatibility with the currently installed housing. They will likely need to know to the part number of the currently installed transducer ... may be found on the transducer's identification tag.

Q2. is should I wire new sensors to st80pod or wire direct to my new style backbone ?
also, will I need an adapter to connect and will the st80 displays still be able to function without going through the pod.
A2. Negative. Only analog instrument transducers may be interfaced to Raymarine instrument pods and iTC-5. NMEA 2000 transducers should be interfaced to a spur socket within the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. While Raymarine products may repeat speed data from such sensors, they cannot calibrate Airmar's Utrasonic Speed Through Water Sensors. Calibration would need to be performed in the manner specified by Airmar, Inc. ((603) 673-9570).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply