Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
03-26-20, 03:13 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
BD,

Q1. Per the autopilot manual "The 1420 Autopilot has a data bus that sends out NMEA 0183 heading information to other external devices such as Radars. Heading data is transmitted once per second and provides two NMEA sentences: HDM (magnetic heading) and HDG (magnetic heading, deviation & variation). The serial data rate is 4800 Baud.
A1. Great. It would be worth determining whether it's heading update rate is 10Hz. If not, then it would not be suitable for use in support of the MFD's MARPA Radar feature. Please note that the MFD's MARPA feature will be accessible when slower heading data rates are supplied to the system. However, MARPA performance will be unsatisfactory and Raymarine accordingly does not recommend use of this feature with lower heading update rates. As long as the autopilot is only transmitting heading data (rudder angle is additionally acceptable), then interfacing the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the autopilot's course computer, supplying heading data to the system should be a simple matter of
- connecting the NMEA 00183 IN+/A lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 OUT+/A terminal of the autopilot course computer; and
- connecting the NMEA 00183 IN-/B lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 OUT-/B terminal of the autopilot course computer.

Q2. In the meantime I'm assuming that I just won't have MARPA or a heading reading on the MFD - correct?
A2. Correct.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-20, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'll ask the vendor about the heading rate. Nothing in the docs about it.

BTW. In the NMEA settings there's a toggle for heading bridge (or similar) . What's up with that?

Thanks
BD
03-27-20, 09:47 AM
BD,

Q. BTW. In the NMEA settings there's a toggle for heading bridge (or similar) . What's up with that?
A. The details of this feature are specified within the NMEA 0183 Settings section of Chapter 5.12 - Settings of the LightHouse 3.11 Advanced Operation Instructions. For your application, this feature should remain in the OFF state.
03-27-20, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 01:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks. Was a copy of that supposed to come with my plotter? I only got the basic operations instructions. I'll download that and review it.
BD
03-27-20, 01:31 PM
BD,

Was a copy of that supposed to come with my plotter?
A. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.