Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
02-27-20, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-20 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
Forum, I'd appreciate any help filling in the blanks with this install plan.

Objectives:
* REPLACE and retire RL70C Plus Pathfinder Radar and Chartplotter. Replace with Quantum Doppler Radar and Axiom Pro 12 RXV
* ADD an AMEC WideLink B600 AIS and integrate to new plotter using N2k
* ADD Icom M506 and integrate to AIS using N2k
* INTEGRATE existing ST60 Depth using SeaTalk
* INTEGRATE existing ComNav 1420 Autopilot using NMEA 0183
* ENABLE the future replacement of autopilot with EV-200 autopilot

It’s clear that I should install the plotter and radar and power them with the included cables, and I assume plug the radar into one of the “Network” ports of the plotter (not using WiFi).
I’ve learned from this forum that I can connect the ComNav 1420 using an Actisense NGW-1-STng 0183 to STng Gateway, but it’s not clear to me how that connects to the rest of the system.
I’ve also learned that I can connect the ST60 Depth using a ST1 to STng Converter using the included cable, but again not certain where it goes from there.
Lastly, I assume that the AIS and VHF will connect to the backbone as spurs using adapter cables? But I’m not sure. And other than the Radar and Plotter, I’m not sure what else needs dedicated power, but I can probably figure that out.

I’d appreciate any guidance I could get here. Thank you.

BD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-20, 12:29 PM
RE: [CA11] Upgrade to Axiom and integrate the rest
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum BD,

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone having a sufficient number of spur sockets to accommodate each NMEA 2000 device will need to be installed. As the system to be created will require a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (not SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Cable) and may in the future include an Evolution autopilot, it is recommended that be backbone be constructed from Raymarine's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking components. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be installed as backbone component and the supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will be used to interface the unpowered SeaTalk bus containing the ST60 instruments to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Third party devices having a NMEA 2000 communications interface, as well as Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs will typically utilize a DeviceNet (M) socket for the device's NMEA 2000 port. As indicated within the FAQ found here, any one the following adapters may be used to interface the product as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

A NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 gateway (ex. Actisense NGW-1-STNG, etc.) may be used to interface the third party autopilot's to the backbone. When the third party autopilot is to be replaced, the backbone will typically need to included three additional spur sockets to permit the Evolution autopilot's components (typically, EV-1 CCU, ACUxxx, and p70S/p70 autopilot control head. These spur sockets will need to be located within 6m of the spur sockets which they will be connected to.

Although a Quantum Data Cable will often be used to interface the MFD to the Quantum radome, a Digital Radar Cable may also be used for this purpose. The latter supports not only communications but power for the radome.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing power circuits for the marine electronics. The MFD, radome, SeaTalkng Backbone Cable, third party AIS transceiver, third party VHF radio, third party autopilot, and ACUxxx (future) will need to be powered via their respective power cables / terminals. The ST60 instruments will be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The future EV-1 CCU and p70S/p70RS autopilot control head will be powered via the backbone.
02-27-20, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 08:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK thank you. I feel like I'm learning something.

So if I use 5 Way connectors instead of individual T Pieces, does the layout that I have in the attachment make sense? I've included part numbers for clarity.

Thanks so much!
BD
02-28-20, 09:03 AM
BD,

Your diagram appears to be mostly correct. Please note that the diagram shows that a SeaTalkng Spur Cable will be used to connect the MFD's NMEA 2000 port (DeviceNet (M) to the backbone. Instead, one of the options provided within my earlier response must be used to connect the MFD's NMEA 2000 port to the backbone.
02-28-20, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 11:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for clearing that up. Also in a different thread this morning, Derek mentioned that since this is an Axiom Pro, I could connect the Autopilot using the PWR/Video/NMEA 0183 port to the MFD directly. That would eliminate the Actisense gateway requirement, unless you saw some advantage to the conversion to the backbone.

BD
02-28-20, 11:07 AM
BD,

Q. Since this is an Axiom Pro, I could connect the Autopilot using the PWR/Video/NMEA 0183 port to the MFD directly.
A. This is indeed correct. Were this a sailing vessel, I would continue to recommend the Actisense NGW-1-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Gateway to support bridging of wind data to the autopilot to permit the pilot to be sailed to wind while the MFD is switched OFF to conserve power. However, based upon the equipment listed to this point, the vessel appears to be a power driven vessel rather than a sailing vessel.
02-28-20, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-20 01:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes power vessel. You guys are great. Thanks!
BD
03-25-20, 08:09 PM
OK - last post hasn't been cleared by mods yet but I've solved that problem - perhaps only to create another?

The ST60 Depth is now successfully sending depth data to the MFD. The fix was to unplug the 2nd SeaTalk connector from the ST60. That was (presumably) receiving GPS data from an external GPS on the radar arch. This was part of the existing configuration so I didn't change it. However unplugging it worked and depth sends over now. The GPS data is no longer flowing anywhere but I suppose the MFD can supply GPS.

The only outstanding issue is that the autopilot does not appear as an instrument anywhere in the MFD. The only connection that I made to the autopilot was two wires that were on the NMEA 0183 Output connection on the old RL70C Plus. As I looked at the back of the unit the wire that used to connect to the top left got connected to the brown on the new MFD Power / NMEA 0183 input, and the top right got connected to the yellow.

It's possible (although I was very careful) that I switched those two wires? I can obviously cut them and switch them but I thought perhaps I'd post first and see what a likely troubleshooting routine would look like first.

Thanks
BD
03-26-20, 08:18 AM
BD,

Q1. The ST60 Depth is now successfully sending depth data to the MFD. The fix was to unplug the 2nd SeaTalk connector from the ST60. That was (presumably) receiving GPS data from an external GPS on the radar arch. This was part of the existing configuration so I didn't change it. However unplugging it worked and depth sends over now. The GPS data is no longer flowing anywhere but I suppose the MFD can supply GPS.
A1. The symptom which you have described is typically indicative of a failure within the SeaTalk circuitry of one of the devices within the system ... in this case the failed SeaTalk communications circuitry within the GPS sensor is bringing down the SeaTalk bus. Should the Axiom MFD not be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it would be recommended that an Raystar 150 GPS or AR200 Stabilization Module (functions as a GPS, heading, roll, and pitch sensor). The latter would be recommended should the ComNav 1420 not support NMEA 0183 stabilized 10Hz heading output, which in turn would be used to support the MFD's MARPA Radar and other heading dependent functions.

Q2. The only outstanding issue is that the autopilot does not appear as an instrument anywhere in the MFD. The only connection that I made to the autopilot was two wires that were on the NMEA 0183 Output connection on the old RL70C Plus. As I looked at the back of the unit the wire that used to connect to the top left got connected to the brown on the new MFD Power / NMEA 0183 input, and the top right got connected to the yellow.
A2. As indicated within the FAQ on this subject, the Autopilot Controls feature of Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs is exclusively supported within systems featuring a Raymarine Evolution Autopilot. However as indicated within the referenced FAQ, this will not prohibit use of another autopilot's Track function, it will simply require that the autopilot's control head be used to command the autopilot into track mode after having commanded navigation (Go To Waypoint / Cursor or Follow Route) from the MFD. To verify communications between the new system and the third party autopilot, you need simply verify you can command the autopilot into Track mode after commanding navigation from the MFD. With regard to interfacing the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the autopilot's course computer, it should be a simple matter of
- connecting the NMEA 00183 OUT+/A lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 IN+/A terminal of the autopilot course computer; and
- connecting the NMEA 00183 OUT-/B lead of the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridge to the NMEA 0183 IN-/B terminal of the autopilot course computer.
03-26-20, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-20 03:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. That helps clarify some things. I've just left the GPS off for now and I'll see how performance is. The plotter is in the flybridge so it should have fine line of sight.

Per the autopilot manual "The 1420 Autopilot has a data bus that sends out NMEA 0183 heading information to other external devices such as Radars. Heading data is transmitted once per second and provides two NMEA sentences: HDM (magnetic heading) and HDG (magnetic heading, deviation & variation). The serial data rate is 4800 Baud. The output signal has enough drive capability for up to six NMEA 0183 Listeners."

I dry fitted that to the NMEA 0183 channel one input (white and green) and the MFD recognized it as sending heading information. Unfortunately it requires a special connector which I don't have. I have an email into the vendor to determine if one is still available. In the meantime I'm assuming that I just won't have MARPA or a heading reading on the MFD - correct?

Lastly I cannot test the feed of waypoints to the autopilot until I can get the boat out. That will come after I complete mounting the MFD.

Thank you much,
BD