Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] i70s SeaTalk 1- SeaTalkng- NMEA2000
03-06-20, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-20 11:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] i70s SeaTalk 1- SeaTalkng- NMEA2000
i have the following:
i70s kit T70216
Autopilot S1G (with ST6002, fluxgate and rudder sensor)
AIS (non-Raymarine with NMEA 0183 and 2000 i/o)

When I try to figure out how to connect to 1)get wind info to the autopilot 2) to display AIS info on the i70s, it seems that all I have to do is to connect the AIS and autopilot to the backbone SeaTalkng backbone via adaptor cables as the i70s supposedly will handle the bridging. (Obviously I need to avoid double power supply) Being a firm believer in Murphy this seems a bit to simple.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-20, 11:54 AM
RE: [CA11] i70s SeaTalk 1- SeaTalkng- NMEA2000
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Relax,

Unfortunately, the equipment cannot be interfaced in the manner which you have suggested. The iTC-5 must be interfaced to an E22158 SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to create a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone and support data bridging between SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 and SeaTalk. The i70 MFS MFID will be interfaced to a spur (white) socket within the aforementioned backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The NMEA 2000 communications interface (likely DeviceNet (M) socket) of the third party AIS receiver/transceiver may be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone via any of the following:
- A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F)
- A06082 DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable

The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Adapter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be connected to a D244 Junction Block, which in turn will be connected to one of the SeaTalk ports of the S1G (the other SeaTalk port will be connected to the autopilot control head) via an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable which has had the plug cut from one end. When connecting this SeaTalk Cable to the S1G's SeaTalk port, only connect the cable's yellow and shield leads to the S1G's SeaTalk terminals. The red lead of this cable will not be used and should be insulated to prevent shorting.

In order for the i70S to display AIS data,
- the system must be interfaced to an AIS receiver/transceiver, and
- the system must be interfaced to a source of GPS data, and
- the system's GPS data source must have acquired a FIX, and
- the system must be interfaced to a source of heading data (in this case the S1G), or the vessel must be making way (linear motion is required to produce COG, which may be used in lieu of heading data).
03-08-20, 05:22 AM
Thank you for detailed answer. Just out of curiosity, what kind of bridging is the 170s capable of?
03-09-20, 09:05 AM
Relax,

The i70S/i70 MFIDs do not support data bridging. These MFIDs may be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus or as spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. When initializing, these MFIDs determine whether it has been interfaced to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. If it senses such, then its communications interface will exclusively support SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications. If no SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone is sensed, then its communications interface will exclusively support exclusively SeaTalk communications.

Should SeaTalk to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging be required within a system, then the previously mentioned SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng Converter will be required.