Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Dual Axiom Setup
03-06-20, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-20 12:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Dual Axiom Setup
Good day. Looking to make the switch to Raymarine and the Axiom line. My selection is the Axiom 9 and I would like to experience the Realvision 3D capabilities, as well as downvision and side vision. I want two units side by side to maximize viewability as my boat will not allow for one large, single screen. I really appreciate all of the different options Axiom offers but I need some guidance.

Backround:
22' Shamrock, straight inboard with full keel
12 degree deadrise at optimal transducer location
Fish in 5' to 200' for the most part
Drift/wreck and trolling

What makes the most economical sense for each MFD. Does one act as a slave to the other if I want to "share" one capability to the other. In other words do I purchase one unit with Realvision sonar, Navionics Plus and the other just a display only? And if I want to view the base model as a backup unit for navigating, should I get that with at least the Lighthouse chart option.

Components list that I think I need:
Unit 1 - E70366-00-101 (no sonar, Ligthhouse)
Unit 2 - E70367-03-nag (RV & Navionics)
RV 200 T70318 or RV 300 T70320 needed due to full keel (It's a 400.00 diff between plastic and bronze. Boat is not trailered. If you think bronze is superior, I would do that then.) Also, since I'm right at 12 degrees deadrise, is the 12 degree XDR still the way to go. And these are Chirp capable, correct?

For the two units to share screens, can I use the Raynet to Raynet cable or would I need a Seatalk backbone?

Thank you in advance for your help. I used the search function but was not able to find all the answers I needed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-20, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-20 04:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Dual Axiom Setup
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum scsmith61907,

Q1. Do I purchase one unit with Realvision sonar, Navionics Plus and the other just a display only?
A1. Yes. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs are designed to share all system resources. As such, only one MFD having internal RealVision sonar circuitry need be purchased; only one chart card need be present the system, etc.. To do so, the MFDs may be interfaced to one another or to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q2. if I want to view the base model as a backup unit for navigating, should I get that with at least the Lighthouse chart option.
A2. Yes. Additional MFDs need not have any internal fishfinder circuitry and it would be recommended that the additional MFD(s) be bundled with a LightHouse Chart card ... or no chart card at all.

Q3. Unit 2 - E70367-03-nag (RV & Navionics)
Q3. If considering a thru-hull transducer, then the following would be recommended for MFD 2: E70367-00-NAG Axiom 9 RV, 9" MFD with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar, no transducer with NAG. The part which you had referenced included a RV-100 transducer.

Q4. RV 200 T70318 or RV 300 T70320 needed due to full keel (It's a 400.00 diff between plastic and bronze. Since I'm right at 12 degrees deadrise, is the 12 degree XDR still the way to go. And these are Chirp capable, correct?
A4. Negative. The RV-212, RV312, and RV-412 transducer pairs are recommended for hulls having 6° to 18° of deadrise. That said, keels ... particularly deep keels such as those found on sailboats can be a challenge. Please see the diagram below addressing where RV transducers should be located.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4238]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply