Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11]Seatalk Failure
03-06-20, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-20 07:44 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11]Seatalk Failure
I have St 60 wind depth and autopilot.

When connecting the three it says Seatalk Failure.

I don’t understand a lot about electrical equipment.

What should I do? Can I get it fixed?

Thanks.

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-20, 07:52 AM
RE: [DG11]Seatalk Failure
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your enquiry,

SeaTalk failure on the Autopilot control unit indicates that there is some corruption or faulty product on the network, that is affecting the network communications. If you disconnect the wind does the system start to work again, ( note you should power cycle the system once the wind is unplugged), if the system still does not work, then unplug the depth display from the network, if the system still indicates SeaTalk Fail, then disconnect both the SeaTalk cables connected to the Autopilot and connect the autopilot control unit directly to one of these seaTalk connections using a short piece of SeaTalk cable. If the fault remains, then the control unit and course computer should be sent to the nearest Raymarine service dealer for investigation.

Additional diagnostics can be found here

Regards
Derek
03-11-20, 06:31 PM
Derek:

I will attempt your fixes this w/e.

In the last of your tests are you saying I should connect the course computer Seatalk connections (red, yellow, black) directly to wind or depth? Could I just use test wire with bullet crimps or something? Kind of a long run.

On an unrelated issue, if it turns out that I need to replace wind or depth, how could I get a new style Seatalk NG instrument to talk to my rather old system? Or is that even possible?

Thanks.

Michael
03-16-20, 09:46 AM
Hi Michael,

In the last test, where the fault still remained even with the wind and the depth disconnected, my suggestion was to disconnect the two seatalk cables from the two seatalk connections on the course computer, ( note each seaTalk connection has three wires, red, yellow and black/ bare/ shield and all three for each seatalk connection mucst be removed) Then make up a new temporary short seatalk cable and connect the SeaTalk control unit to one of the SeaTalk connections on the course computer. If the problem remains, send the control unit and the computer in for investigation and repair.
By using the small test cable for seatalk, we are eliminating any damaged SeaTalk connectors or SeaTalk cables running through the boat, if the Control unit and the Course computer work fine when using the short cable, then there is a damaged cable or connector onboard.

Thanks
Derek
05-03-20, 03:25 PM
Let me be clear about what I’ve tried.

Number one I have everything connected and all devices were daisychained. Seatalk error.

Then I tried each device individually daisychained to the sea talk control him. Seatalk error.

Then I had nothing connected to the control head. No Seatalk error.

In short, the control head works perfectly until I daisychained to anything.

So what do I need to do now?
05-04-20, 07:38 AM
Hi goofey@earthlink.net

Thankyou for the feedback.

So just to confirm, with only the control head connected via SeaTalk to the autopilot course computer, the control head and the Autopilot operate correctly - yes?

This being the case, there is likely a cable of connector problem in the system which is triggering the SEATALK FAILURE.

At this stage leave the Control head connected to the Autopilot and one by one connect the SEATALK network cable to the control unit, as soon as the failed cable is connected the alarm will be seen, unplug the affected cable and the alarm will disappear.

You will have to methodically go through the network cable by cable until you trace the root cause. It should not take too long through if you separate the network into half and then quarters.

Regards

Derek
05-04-20, 09:23 AM
I apologize if I’m being thick.

When the control head is connected to the computer Via Seatalk it works. No error.

If I hook anything to that control head via a Seattalk cable, I get the error immediately. EG If I connect the wind instrument, I get the error if I connect the Tridata, I get the error. If I connect none of those I don’t get the air.

So I haven’t I already done all the tests that you mentioned in your note?

Thanks.

Michael
05-05-20, 04:22 AM
Hi Michael

Thanks for the feedback,

It depends how you are attaching the other displays to the control unit, if you have used a faulty cable then this could be the cause, otherwise, if you have discounted the cables being used to attach the other displays, then the issue must be in the cable attached to the control unit that is being used to connect the other display or the control unit itself.

You could eliminate the cable on the control unit by connecting the other SeaTalk device direct to the second SeaTalk connection on the course computer whilst leaving the control unit connected.

Thanks
Derek
05-05-20, 06:12 AM
Thanks for your note.

When I got this boat, the left most two instruments, which are the wind instrument in the Tridata we’re already connected with a seat or cable.

While those instruments were not on Seatalk, they did provide power to each other.

When I got on the scene I did one more thing namely add a Seatalk cable to bridge between the control head, and the Tridata, thus completing the Daisy chain.

In short, I have two bridge cables. I have tried to bridge devices with each of those cables. Neither one accomplishes the task. Conclusion: the problem isn’t in the cables.

So it seems that it must be that the control head lacks something, namely the ability to pass the signal down the line. Does that sound reasonable or playsible?
05-05-20, 06:35 AM
... and following up on the message I just sent, if my hypothesis is correct then perhaps the following would reveal everything.

Disconnect the control head, thus eliminating any of its faults from the equation.. Then run the former control head wire to the Tri-data and finally just bridge the Tridata over to the wind instrument. If that connection works with just the two devices then the true wind indicator should show an actual number instead of dashes.

If that is possible, then that would indicate that the problem is in the control head.

Sound correct?

Thanks.