Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom XL card readers
03-09-20, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-20 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom XL card readers
I just took delivery of my new boat and it has two 19” Axiom XLs with 2 card readers attached. Both card readers have 1 micro SD slot and one USB port. I have a couple of questions:

1. I have three chart cards that I like to run, so I am thinking about replacing one of the card readers with the USB port with one that has two micro SD slots. Are these readers the same exact size so that I can simply mount the new reader in the same spot? If so, what is the correct part number to order?

2. What can the USB port be used for? Can I plug a USB memory device into the USB port and record video and pictures from my cameras to the usb memory stick?

3. If I have a UAV, can the UAV controller cable be plugged into the USB port in the reader in order to operate the UAV or must it be plugged directly into the unit?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-20, 10:20 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom XL card readers
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Mig888,

Q1. I have three chart cards that I like to run, so I am thinking about replacing one of the card readers with the USB port with one that has two micro SD slots. Are these readers the same exact size so that I can simply mount the new reader in the same spot? If so, what is the correct part number to order?
A1. The footprint of the A80440 RCR-SD-USB-Card Reader is identical to that of the A80218 RCR-2 Remote Card Reader. The A80218 RCR-2 Remote Card Reader has been replaced by the A80440 RCR-SD-USB-Card Reader. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing where one may find the latest information concerning the availability of the A80218 RCR-2 Remote Card Reader.

Q2. What can the USB port be used for? Can I plug a USB memory device into the USB port and record video and pictures from my cameras to the usb memory stick?
A2. The USB port support connecting external USB storage devices (e.g. memory sticks). This port can also be used to charge external USB devices. Accordingly, screen snapshots, camera video, etc. may be saved to a microSD memory card or to a USB memory stick.

Q3. If I have a UAV, can the UAV controller cable be plugged into the USB port in the reader in order to operate the UAV?
A3. Negative. The UAV controller's USB cable must be plugged directly into the USB port of the MFD on which the Axiom UAV app is intended to be executed?
03-10-20, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-20 08:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks as always for the help. Two more questions:

1. Can a third A80440 be connected to the two Axiom XLs?

2. If i am able to get CMOR to put the files of its charts on a USB memory stick instead of a micro SD chip, would the Axiom read the chart just as if it was on a micro SD chip?
03-11-20, 08:49 AM
Mig888,

Q1. Can a third A80440 be connected to the two Axiom XLs?
A1. Negative.

Q2. If i am able to get CMOR to put the files of its charts on a USB memory stick instead of a micro SD chip, would the Axiom read the chart just as if it was on a micro SD chip?
A2. While untested and would officially be unsupported, this would appear possible. I have verified that LightHouse 3 will utilize LightHouse Charts which have not been encrypted from a thumb drive which in turn has been interfaced to the MFD's A80440 RCR-SD-USB-Card Reader. I have further verified that LightHouse 3 software will automatically populate the thumb drive with a LightHouse_ID.txt file ... a requirement for being able to then populate a memory device with LightHouse charts. CMOR charts for Raymarine products utilize the same cartography encryption scheme used for LightHouse charts.