Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60 Wind Troubleshooting Question
03-15-20, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-20 03:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST60 Wind Troubleshooting Question
I have an ST60 wind instrument with two displays – master and slave – and a wind transducer with hemisphere shaped cups.
The displays intermittently stopped displaying any wind data, then occasionally displayed incorrect wind angles and very low wind speed. The displays then showed no angle or wind speed data.
Masthead voltage test at master display (this was measured with the transducer installed on the mast in the wind, before the mast was unstopped for the winter):
Red 8v
Yellow 8v
Blue 5.6v
Green 7.2v

Current tests:
Transducer cable test showed and open ground between masthead block pin and display
With transducer and cables disconnected from master display, display terminals have 8v on Red and Yellow and 0 on Blue and Green. Same readings on slave display.
Transducer tested independently using a 9v source applied to Black and Red pins:
Yellow produced 2 pulses per revolution, each 0.14v. When spun by hand, greatest voltage was about 0.14v
Blue and Green each varied from 3.6v to 5.5v

The masthead block and cable definitely has an open ground.
The transducer Yellow wind speed readings are much lower than what the troubleshooting data on the forum states. Does it need to be replaced or serviced?
Is the 8v reading on the master display normal with the wires disconnected?
What needs replacing/servicing, aside from the cable?

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-20, 10:39 AM
RE: [CA11] ST60 Wind Troubleshooting Question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Running Late,

Q1. The masthead block and cable definitely has an open ground.
A1. The masthead block and cable should be repaired / replaced.

Q2. The transducer Yellow wind speed readings are much lower than what the troubleshooting data on the forum states. Does it need to be replaced or serviced?
A2. It is recommended that you connect +8VDC and ground directly (run jumpers from the instrument's pins) to the corresponding power and ground pins of the wind transducer, and then measure the voltage across the yellow and ground pins as the transducer is being blown by a fan. This voltage measurement should then be compared to the range specified within the referenced FAQ. Alternatively, the masthead wind transducer may be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

Q3. Is the 8v reading on the master display normal with the wires disconnected?
A3. Yes.
04-29-20, 06:25 PM
Hi! Almost the same question
I have 8V on yellow pin (when the yellow wire is disconnected - is it normal?) and yellow wire shows different voltage depends on wind speed (0.3 - 1.0 V today, light wind)
When I connect the wire to the pin it still shows 8 V and 0.0 wind speed.
Where is the problem - on the transducer or on the main unit? Wind direction is OK.
Thanks.
04-30-20, 10:30 AM
Fed.Ushel,

When the yellow transducer lead has been disconnected from the wind instrument's yellow transducer terminal, one should not see voltage on the yellow terminal. The reported problem would be indicative of an issue within the instrument. Please note that Raymarine can no longer service ST60/ST60+ instruments, making it necessary to replace the instrument to correct this issue.
05-05-20, 06:55 PM
I have an ST60 wind that when I check voltage indicates the transducer is with in range. The display powers up but does not show any data (direction or speed). Is there any trouble shooting for the display? is it likely defective? can it be factory repaired?
05-07-20, 08:02 AM
Hello Eheim,

The ST60 has been retired and is not serviceable. The i60 was intentionally made to be a backwards spares replacement unit. It was deemed to not be cost effective to continue repairing ST60s when they could be replaced with a new unit(i60) that has a warranty. The i60 is Seatalk and STNG compatible. Please see the link for the i60 here, https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=5127.html

It is fully compatible with your current wind vane and we would recommend if the ST60 is bad to replace it with the i60.