Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11]connecting Smartcontroller to Evolution Autopilot
03-17-20, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-20 10:42 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11]connecting Smartcontroller to Evolution Autopilot
Purchased the following for a new install for a 36ft Power Catamaran with Twin 350HP outboard.

Evolution Autopilot Pack T70156
-ACU-200
-EV1 Sensor
-P70R control head

Purchased the Type 2 pump M81121. I chose this pump as my hydraulic rams on the outboards was at the very tip of the range for the type 1 pump. And figured a bigger pump would not hurt things.

SmartController E15023.

I think I have everything wired up but still need to get the Type 2 pump installed- getting new hydraulic lines made later this week.

The Smartcontroller is the older seatalk system. How do I get it to tie into the ACU-200, which is seatalkng?

Do I use the Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit Part Number: E22158 and just terminate the ports I am not going to use?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-20, 10:56 AM
RE: [DG11]connecting Smartcontroller to Evolution Autopilot
Hi mc360
Thankyou for your enquiry.

The Smartcontroller is linked to the EVolution autopilot through the SeaTalk to STng converter.

The Converter is connected using one of the blue backbone connections to the STng network you have created for the Evolution autopilot, the other blue socket, if it is not being used for extending the backbone, will need a blue terminating resistor fitted.
The SeaTalk of the smartcontroller base station is connected to the yellow connection of the converter, remembering that the red core of the wire must be isolated and not connected, only the shield/bare wire/ black 0Volt wire and the yellow data wire is connected to SeaTalk.

this FAQshown here will also help.
Regards
Derek
03-20-20, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-20 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
can I just use a Raymarine Sea Talk-Ng to Sea Talk Adapter A06047?

allowing me to use the junction box that came with the smartcontroller to tie into the STng system. I have an unused open port on a connector block that I can use or do I need the complete converter set and junction it off?
03-24-20, 06:44 AM
Dear mc360,

You cannot just use the adaptor cable, this is just a connector adaptor. The E22158 has the software to convert between ST1 and STng.

Do follow the instructions Derek provided in the previous post and you will have functionality of the Smart Controller.

Many Thanks
Louise
03-24-20, 06:44 AM
Dear mc360,

You cannot just use the adaptor cable, this is just a connector adaptor. The E22158 has the software to convert between ST1 and STng.

Do follow the instructions Derek provided in the previous post and you will have functionality of the Smart Controller.

Many Thanks
Louise
03-24-20, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-20 03:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One other follow up:
So I plug the repeater that came with the Smartcontroller to the junction box. Tie the junction box to the E22158 using the yellow seatalk connector, installing it in the yellow port. and I can then use the 2 other ports to connect my other stng components (or block them if not being used, terminating one of the blue ports that will not be used?

Since I already have power to the backbone, I do not need to use the power.

Found this diagram.
03-25-20, 01:06 PM
Hi mc360

Thanks for the follow up,

Yes your drawing is correct - except where is the EV1 sensor connected?

thanks
Derek
03-26-20, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-20 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
in the stng backbone.
03-26-20, 09:23 AM
Dear mc360,

Thanks for the post.

Just to confirm the STng backbone extends beyond the ACU in the diagram? Your EV1 also spurs from the same backbone?

Many Thanks
Louise
03-26-20, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-20 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
yes the EV1 will be in the same backbone as the E22158 and the Smartcontroller.

Not sure what "extends beyond the ACU" means but the ACU is on another Raymarine SeaTalk 5 Way Spur Backbone Connector which is with a seatalkng cable. I might be able to plug the ACU right into the E22158 converter.