Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ACU100 is driving wheel motor from seatalk network
03-23-20, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-20 12:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ACU100 is driving wheel motor from seatalk network
I've added an ev100 wheel pilot to my network which includes an es78 MFD. The MFD supplies power to the p70 but it ALSO seems to power the ACU100. When I enable the pilot from the p70, the wheel motor starts turning the wheel even though the ACU100 (which is on a separate breaker) is NOT powered. This doesn't seem right/normal to me. The seatalk ng power wire is much to small to handle the motor current demands.

Question 1: How do I keep the ACU100 from driving the motor unless it is also powered from it's breaker? Do I remove the red seatalk wire input to the ACU100? My setup can't be very unusual: combining the most popular wheel pilot with one of the most popular MFDs..

Question 2: In order to use the autopilot without the MFD on, I would need to add network power on the autopilot breaker with the supplied cable. Is it OK of both the MFD and this power cable are both powering the network with both are on?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-20, 01:19 PM
RE: [CA11] ACU100 is driving wheel motor from seatalk network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum debonAir,

Please verify that the none of the autopilot control head's keys are being held in the pressed position by the control head's trim ring.

Please note that MFDs are neither designed to be powered by nor to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Similarly the ACU100 and ACU150 are neither designed to supply power to not to be powered by a a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The backbone should be powered using the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable. As indicated within the FAQ addressing installation of power circuits for marine electronics it would be considered to be a best installation practice that the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone be powered from a dedicated, switched power circuit.

I recommend that you determine which power circuit the SeaTalkng Power Cable (red w/black stripe) has been connected to. You can also verify that it is the sole source of power to the backbone by unplugging it from the spur socket and then determining whether the wheel drive continues to receive power.

Should the problem persist, then you may determine whether the MFD is erroneously supplying power to the backbone by unplugging it from the backbone. Should you find that the problem abates, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Should you find that the problem does not abate, then the ACU100 should be replaced by your Raymarine dealer (if purchased within the last 30 days) or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
03-29-20, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-20 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The network power was being supplied from the same breaker as the MFD, Moving the network power to its own breaker (as recommended) resolved the issue for me. Still strange that that would fix it, but the system is working correctly now.
03-30-20, 09:05 AM
You're welcome. Should problems occur in the future, then please be certain to include a system diagram listing all devices within the system, how they have been interfaced to the system, and how they have been powered.