Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Linear rudder reference transducer setup
03-04-20, 06:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Linear rudder reference transducer setup
So, I have successfully set up my follow on tiller, however I reversed the rudder angle, so that when I turn the tiller switch to port, the outboard turns to starboard. I can't find the manual for the tiller, so I'm hoping someone can provide me with instructions for re-initiating setup for the tiller so I can get the issue straightened out. Thanks.

Brandon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-20, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Linear rudder reference transducer setup
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brandon,

Which model of autopilot is installed on the vessel?
03-18-20, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:43 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I'm running an EV150 with P70r. I'd like to add more information to this post. I'm also running a seastar Smartstick rudder transduce as I was unable to adapt my Raymarine transduce when I moved to an outboard. I seem to be having problems with that as well. When I run the dockside wizard, as I manually turn the rudder to port, the red indicator bar on the p70 indicates to starboard. After the manual rudder movement part of the dockside wizard, the autopilot tries to move the motor, but stops and gives me an inconsistent values error. I removed the rudder indicator from the EV150 and was able to complete the dockside wizard. It would be helpful to know what the EV150s colored ports on the rudder indicator actually do (power, ground, signal) so that I can make sure the smartstick is properly wired up.
03-18-20, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
bellinghamangler,

As specified within the FAQ found here, during execution of the Dockside Wizard or Dockside Calibration should movement of the wheel in a clockwise direction or movement of the rudder to the right cause the rudder bar displayed on the autopilot control head to indicate left rudder was applied, then the rudder reference transducer phasing is incorrect for the orientation of the rudder reference transducer. In the case of Evolution autopilots, the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->REVERSE RUDDER REF may be executed to correct this behavior. Alternatively (and considered to be a best installation practice),
- the rudder reference transducer's red lead may disconnected from ACU/course computer RUDDER port's red terminal and may instead be connected to the ACU/course computer RUDDER port's green terminal; and
- the rudder reference transducer's green lead may disconnected from ACU/course computer RUDDER port's green terminal and may instead be connected to the ACU/course computer RUDDER port's red terminal.

As you have suggested, SeaStar's SmartStick is commonly used for outboard applications which cannot easily accommodate Raymarine's Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer. It is accordingly recommended that SmartStick be installed as originally specified by SeaStar / Teleflex. Should movement of the wheel show rudder bar movement in the opposite direction on the autopilot control head, then the leads of the SmartStick which have been interfaced to ACU's Rudder green and red terminals should be swapped. After doing so, then a Pilot Factory Reset and the remaining items specified within the FAQ found here should be executed.
03-27-20, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I've reversed the wiring as you suggested, with no success. I've also reset the autopilot to factory settings and went through the setup procedure several times, with the wires arranged in both configurations. I've also updated all of the software for the heading indicator, ACU and P70. No luck. I've also checked the installation of the Seastar rudder transducer and it's right.

The one thing I've not been able to do is use the Reverse Rudder Ref as you suggest. I go through the menu, however under Drive Settings, I do not see Reverse Rudder Ref
Currently I see under Drive Settings:
Power Steer
Rudder Offset
Rudder Limit
Any thoughts?
03-27-20, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
bellinghamangler,

Within the Autopilot Calibration Menu, you will find a Vessel Settings menu and within it, you will find Calibration Lock setting. Ensure that this setting has been configured to OFF. Upon doing so, you should be able to perform the command previously specified.
03-27-20, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-20 05:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, that all worked and I was able to reverse the rudder. the rudder indicator bars on the control did indeed move in the correct direction. I then went to complete the dockside wizard and after the manual turning of the rudder from port to starboard, I was presented with a Values Too Close error.
03-27-20, 05:41 PM
bellinghamangler,

The wizard is indicating that the sensed resistance from your rudder reference transducer is outside of the parameters expected by the autopilot. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the rudder reference transducer. Should testing of the rudder reference transducer not indicate any issues with the transducer, then it would be recommended that the ACU be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.