Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Navionics Platinum+ on Classic E-80
06-08-16, 03:17 PM
New Navionics Platinum+ on Classic E-80
I just purchased a new Navionics + card and updated it on line with their guidance at their site and tried loading it on my Classic E-80 and it caused the E-80 to freeze. I could not even operate the OK button to accept the opening terms. Neither could I turn off the Display. My old card works just fine and my latest software on the unit is v5.69.

I called Raymarine and was told that the new + has too much data on it so I should switch to straight Platinum. I am also trying to resolve this with Navionics help so I could operate with the latest charts. My old chip is 2006. This new chip also has sonar data on it and everything can be updated free for 1 year. Could you please advise.

Thank you,
John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-16, 03:32 PM
RE: New Navionics Platinum+ on Classic E-80
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Should a MFD have been updated with the latest software, and its memory card reader be determined to be operational, and deletion of the chart card's chartcat.xml file not then permit cartography from the chart card to be displayed, then the chart card should be sent to Navionics for replacement with one which has been tested with your model of MFD.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
06-09-16, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-16 10:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Could you please provide a name of a qualified contact at Navionics to handle this inquiry and to understand the details of your message in the forum details on this issue that you posted previously. To date all my contacts with Navionics have not resulted in a satisfactory solution and I have not spoken or had email from a technical representative sufficiently knowledgeable to handle this issue.

Thanks you
John
06-10-16, 10:33 AM
John,

Should the Navionics representative with whom you are addressing the problem not be able to address the reported issue, then it is recommended that you ask to be transferred to Lydia DeSousa.
06-10-16, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-16 09:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for contact and I am I requested a transfer.

Person I was last working with reloaded the card with charts and sonar data ( separate loads) and I tried it on the boat and charts worked with all other things like Aerial overlay, port photos, 3D etc but Sonar did not show up. I did not get a chance to review over phone with Navionics ( too long a wait at boat) but did talk to Raymarine Multifunction display rep and he said that the Classic E-80 will only accept up to 2Ghz of data. I checked to downloads as indicated on navionics site and they state 1.41.35 KHz for the Charts and 780.93Khz for sonar data which is less than 1GB. I checked the Navionics card is had 7.46GB on an 8GB card. confusing!!!
I will try them again on Monday AM. Any comments?

Thank you
John
06-13-16, 10:39 AM
John,

I assume that your references to GHz and kHz (frequency units) were meant to refer to GB and and some other memory size units. While Raymarine has specified a maximum capacity rating of CF memory cards (32GB) to be used as chart cards for the C/E-Series Classic MFDs, it has not specified a maximum for the amount of data which may be stored on these chart cards. That said, I have a Platinum Plus US Northeast & Canyons chart card having over 7GB of cartography (2D: 260MB; 3D: 480MB; Image: 320MB; PB: 5MB; TopDown: 6.3GB) stored within it memory and this chart card functions quite satisfactorily with my E80 MFD w/v5.69 software. I suspect that the 2GB limit that Navionics has referenced is more specifically a reference to the quantity of 2D cartography which is stored on the chart card. It is recommended that you continue to work with Navionics to have them supply you with a chart card which works with your MFD.
06-13-16, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-16 02:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the reply. Sorry about the Hz connotation. I am a retired Electrical engineer. 1000 kHz is a gigabit .
My new and Navionics reloaded card in now working on my E-80 after a couple of attempts. Everything seems to be functioning, Charts, 3D, Aerial overlay, Sonar etc. What they failed to tell me was that I had to switch to Fish for the sonar plots and even then I can only get them operating at a range of 1 NM full screen. I was hoping to supplement my navigation using the sonar charts as I am sailor and don't fish. Should I be able to view sonar at greater chart coverage like 3-5 Nm? I have asked Navionics this question and don't have a response yet. What is your experience on your E-80?

John
06-13-16, 02:45 PM
John,

With the older Platinum Plus chart card that I tested, Sonar (Fish) charts may be viewed starting at the 12nm chart scale. If it has not been previously stated, the E-Series Classic MFDs were designed and tested by Raymarine for use with Navionics Platinum, not Platinum Plus cartography. I suspect the the feature which you have identified may associated with the latest Navionics cartography.
07-03-16, 09:48 PM
I'd like to chime in on this thread. One, I was encountering the same problem and Mr Russo. I have an E-120 master and two slave E-80s. With the new Navionics + card, the system was much slower to boot and many times the slave units would never fully boot, they would eventually freeze on the OK screen.

The moderators link to the FAQ on this topic is 100% spot in. I followed the recommendation and deleted the full nav data set from my new card, then used the Navionics "Chart Installer" application to load my area of operation / interest. It amounted to 253 MBytes of data, far less than the 2 GBytes limit that was tested by Raymarine.

I took this to the vessel. On the first power up, the system took 2 minutes to come up with the E-120 master doing one soft reset in the process and the slave E-80s squawking that there is no master. Yet after two minutes, the E-120 was operation and the E-80s were happy and fully operational.

Then on subsequent power cycles, the entire system would come up with 40 seconds, reliably every time, just like it did with my ten year old Platinum card.

My conclusions: excellent FAQ thread, it was spot on. And Navionics support folks are putting out bad data, they know nothing of this issue and will insist that the 16 GByte cards are compatible with the E classic plotters. While technically true, what is missing in the conversation with them is the amount of data on the card, not the size of the card.

Someone from Raymarine and Navionics should get together and update the respective compatibility info so that it doesn't mislead the many users out there. I learned it through diligent investigation and having an electronics / programming background. Many others will be snowed by the problem and simply give up or spend senseless money paying someone to figure it out.

All the best,

Lothar
07-05-16, 09:44 AM
Lothar,

Thanks for the additional feedback.