The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 802 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 802 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar
03-30-20, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 01:13 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar
I am looking to upgrade the electronics on my boat and seek advice. I intend to purchase 12" MFD, transducer, AIS radio and radar to replace my existing equipment. Existing equipment includes radar, radio, GPS, and fish finder w/ thruhull fairing block transducer (all very old ~90's)

I am located in Santa Barbara, CA and am a recreational fisherman. We primarily fish the offshore islands for calico, yellowtail and white sea bass (0-100'), blue and yellowfin tuna (0-250'), and rock cod (0-500').

About my boat: 25' Skipjack Fisherman, fiberglass hull powerboat, diesel inboard w/ outdrive, 18 degree deadrise. Kept on trailer.

I believe the following selections are appropriate, please confirm:
Ray73 VHF Radio with GPS, AIS Receiver and Loudhailer Output
Quantum Q24C 18" Radar with 10m Power and 10m Data Cable
GA150 GPS & Glonass antenna for direct connect to AXIOM Pro and AXIOM XL
12" MFD and transducer (please advise on MFD and transducer inquiries below)

Transducer - currently use thruhull w/ fairing block positioned in forward / starboard quadrant of bilge. My goals are to buy one transducer (bronze), utilize the existing thruhull (if possible), and get a more low profile design due to the small size of my boat (e.g. non fairing block). At a minimum, the transducer must provide depth, temp, wide scanning and high quality sonar for finding fish in the 0-500' range. I am interested in the down, side, and 3D vision capabilities, but these are not essential.

Q1: When dealing with deadrise, are two transducers required to utilize down, side, and 3D vision capabilities? If so, I will likely forgo these capabilities.

Q2: If two transducers are required per Q1 above, is B175H-W w/ 20` deadrise (#A80321) the best singular transducer for me conceding that I will not be purchasing down, side, and 3D vision capabilities?

Q3a: If not B175H-W w/ 20` deadrise (#A80321), what else would you suggest?

Q3b: Due to increased cost associated with B175 low/high or med/high I am less interested in these models and am not sure if dual channel chirp is necessary for my needs. Please advise.

Q4a: If B175H-W w/ 20` deadrise (#A80321) is best for me, what 12" Axiom MFD do I need: Pro S or Pro RVX

Q4b: If not B175H-W w/ 20` deadrise (#A80321), what MFD do I need?

Thank you,

Sean
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar - SeanStewart - 03-30-20 01:47 PM