Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar
04-14-20, 11:46 AM
RE: [CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar
So I received my new transducer today (Airmar B17HW) and as soon as I open the box, first thing I see is a neon green piece of paper titled "AVOID OVERHEATING install at a cool location away from the engine."

I run a 25 Skipjack Fisherman with an inboard diesel (TAMD41). First, I was hoping to reuse the existing thruhull in the starboard/forward corner of the bilge. Second, due to the layout of this boat, there is literally nowhere else I could locate the transducer other than the engine compartment/bilge, unless I step out further away from the keel and past the lift strake. This is also not ideal to due increased opportunity for cavitation as you move further away from the keel.

So my questions are:

Is there a specific temp that has been identified to cause the transducer to fail? I'm considering using another object to test the temp range with engine warmed up. Running in cool California water has got to help dissipate the heat sink on the ducer.

Have folks installed a B175HW in close proximity to their inboard? Issues or experience?

Alternatively, should I not be worried about performance issues with a new thruhull outside of the lift strake?

Also picked up a transducer collar from this company down in Australia to get the unit just a little further away from the hull. Do you have input on these?
https://qmeq.com.au/product/1kw-transduc...lar-qme01/

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [CA11] Selecting a MFD Transducer & Radar - SeanStewart - 04-14-20 11:46 AM