Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] i50/i60 Power cabling
03-30-20, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 05:43 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] i50/i60 Power cabling
Hello there,

I have read the manuals and forums but have not found confirmation on my question regarding power cabling.

Instruments in my possession are:
- i50 Tridata + DST-800
- i60 Wind + wind vane

So far no other equipment to be networked. In future we may renew our old gps-plotter and at that time building a STng network is most likely the case.

Q1: Our current power cabling plan (as depicted in the attached jpg) is to connect the power cable to i60 instrument and connect the spur cable between i50 and i60 instruments. Transducers would be directly connected to the relevant instruments. Q1(a): Is this sufficient setting for power cabling? Or do we need a separate power cable for both instruments? Q1(b): Is there any data exchanged between the instruments?

Q2: If we later on acquire e.g. Axiom or Element S plotter/screen and would like to connect the DST/W data from transducers to the new plotter, could we simply built up a STng backbone to which the currently planned setup is plugged as follows: e.g. a 5-way Connector is acquired, the plotter (that is having its own power cable) is plugged thereto, the i50 and i60 instruments (that are connected to each other's with the spur cable) are plugged thereto by using another spur cable, and the power cable is unplugged from i60 and connected to the backbone insted? Could the data from DST/W transducers be replayed on plotter/screen in such a setting (i.e. do the i50/i60 instruments forward the data received from the transducers to the STng network), or should the transducers be separately connected to the STng network?

Cheers,

Maria
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-20, 04:44 AM
RE: [LW11] i50/i60 Power cabling
Dear Raymaria,

Thank you for your post.

Referencing the STng installation manual that is available to download from our website here, start to install your STng backbone in preparation for upgrading your installation.

Each instrument head will have its own spur connected directly to a white STng port. The instrument will be powered from the STng backbone.

As you are using the i50 and i60 instruments, you connect the transducers directly to the back of these units. The data will then be shared to other products on the STng network like your Raymarine MFD to display your wind, depth and speed through water in databoxes on the display.

Many Thanks
Louise
05-08-20, 03:13 AM
Thanks Louise!

Now that I am plugging each analog transducer directly to the instrument, I'd like to double-check that the wiring would work:

(a) Connecting Wind Vane to i60 seems easy based on the manual (p. 23, see https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/naeyb4ys...11902949), i.e. connecting all five wires colour-to-colour to Vane connectors 3-7 (assuming that black wire equals to grey mentioned in the manual; other colours do match with the manual).

(b) Connecting DST800 (A22154) to i50 seems more tricky, as the transducer has less wires than i50 has connectors. Perhaps I would anyway succeed by following iTC-5 manual (see https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/6j70kaby...11802157), i.e. connecting colour-to-colour except not connecting the screen to Speed connectors.

I am quite confident on the above based on previous post on the forum. Seems that most burdensome part of installation would be routing and re-fitting wind vane cable to the mast.

Cheers,

Maria
05-08-20, 04:18 AM
A practical question re Wind Vane cabling:

The Wind Vane is supplied with a Junction box (see p. 23 of https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/naeyb4ys...11902949).

As I will however hoist the mast each spring and accordingly lower each autumn, I was wondering whether you'd have any plug'n'play solutions available or to recommend? In other words any 5-pin connector that one could attach to the wind vane cable?

Thans,

Maria
05-11-20, 11:07 AM
Hi Raymaria,

Thankyou for your feedback,

The connection for the transducers should be a matter of following the colour coding, the black wire from the windvane as you say is the 0volts and is also described as the bare wire or the shield.

With regards to fitting a connection to facilitate the removal of the mast, I would advise against any type of deck plug, over the years I have seen so many connection issues at the base of the mast on deck that I always recommend running the cable through the deck, either inside the mast or through a deck gland and then using a decent size junction box inside the boat where it is protected. Honestly, that is the most reliable solution.
05-11-20, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-20 01:07 AM by Jules - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi raymarina,

With regards to connecting the DST to the i50 tridata display, the screen wire should connect to the Speed grey connection, not to the depth screen wire. This is different to the itc-5 connections

Thanks
Derek