Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST60 repeater issue
03-31-20, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 09:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] ST60 repeater issue
I am feeding nmea1083 data stream in to the yellow pin (beside the power input). The data comes from a raspberry pi4 TxD pin. The data sentences are of the format:
$ARMWV,294.44,R,7.49,N,A*2b

The ST60 display is in repeater mode but it is not reacting to the nmea feed. Any ideas of what could be the culprit here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-20, 09:36 AM
RE: [CA11] ST60 repeater issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum syfreedom,

What model of ST60 instrument are you seeking to supply NMEA 0183 data to?
04-01-20, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-20 07:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for asking, it's the wind instrument. I was told at the local RM service that it understands, nmea0183. But I've learned recently that seatalk is much higher voltage (0-12v) than the pi serial output. Maybe I need to try another approach, putting the nmea to chartplotter, which again talks the information further to the repeater. The wind repeater needs the gps data also to enable true wind, so I guess this should be the way to go anyway.
04-01-20, 07:58 AM
syfreedom,

Indeed it appears that you may have initially misunderstood or had been misinformed concerning the communications supported by the ST60/ST60+ Wind Instrument. Like most ST60/ST60+ instruments, the ST60/ST60+ Wind Instrument is exclusively designed to support SeaTalk communications protocol. Accordingly, it would not be possible to interface a NMEA 0183 device directly to the ST60/ST60+ Wind Instrument. During the period of time when ST60/ST60+ instruments had been sold, the chartplotting and MFD products typically featured both NMEA 0183 and SeaTalk communications to facilitate such data bridging. However, currently manufactured Raymarine chartplotting and MFD products do not include a SeaTalk communications interface.

These days this function is typically performed via a Raymarine MFD having a NMEA 0183 communications interface (ex. Axiom Pro MFD, Axiom XL MFD) in conjunction with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Another approach would involve a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit and an Actisense NGW-1-STNG NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge. For many years, such data bridging had been supported by Raymarine's E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module. However, this product was retired almost ten years ago. There are also some third party data bridging products in the marketplace claiming SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridging capabilities (ex. Brookhouse iMux, Digital Yacht ST-NMEA (ISO) Converter, etc.).