Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Interfacing Ray700AIS from Nav station to Axiom 9 at helm
03-31-20, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-20 01:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Interfacing Ray700AIS from Nav station to Axiom 9 at helm
I cannot get Axiom to see AIS targets. AIS is transmitting OK and Axiom software was updated. My original configuration was an RL70+ at nav station and at helm on a Seatalk 1 network. These were removed and the Axiom 9 added at helm with an E22158 converter kit at helm providing data from ST60 instruments to Axiom.
At the nav station there is an E85001 interface providing serial out to laptop and a ST60 multi. Radar was replaced with a Quantum. With the Ray 700 at the nav station I connected 0183 high out to the E85001 0183 in and the E85001 seatalk out to the Seatalk 1 bus. There is no more room in the pedestal guard to run more wire up to the nav pod so I am hoping there is a way to utilize existing cabling. I am not technical so any help would be appreciated to make AIS targets visible on the Axiom.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-20, 02:21 PM
RE: [CA11] Interfacing Ray700AIS from Nav station to Axiom 9 at helm
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tzicko23,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing best practices for chasing cables through binnacle / pedestal tubes.

Q. With the Ray 700 at the nav station I connected 0183 high out to the E85001 0183 in and the E85001 seatalk out to the Seatalk 1 bus.
A. Unfortunately, this is an invalid installation, as the E85001 does not support 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications and unlike SeaTalkng communications protocol, SeaTalk communications protocol does not support communications of AIS data. In this case and recognizing that it may require changes to the wiring within your binnacle tubing, it would be recommended that:

- any old radar cable within the binnacle tubing which then passes below decks be removed, and

- any SeaTalk Cable within the binnacle tubing which then passes below decks be removed, and

- any SeaTalkNG Power Cable within the binnacle tubing which then passes below decks be removed and relocated to the navigation station.

- the backbone which had been created by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be extended to the to the navigation station via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable

- That a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector be installed at the navigation station to then permit the Ray70 and SeaTalkng Power Cable to be interfaced to spur sockets within the backbone. Should there be a reason that the E85001 is still desired for use within the system (ex. computer interfaced to E85001, etc.) then a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be installed in place of the aforementioned SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.
04-01-20, 09:26 AM
Thank you Chuck. Sounds like I have a lot of work to do.
04-01-20, 10:30 AM
You're welcome.