Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replacing Merc Smartcraft with Raymarine e127 & I70s
04-01-20, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-20 08:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replacing Merc Smartcraft with Raymarine e127 & I70s
My goal is simply to replace the current Mercury Marine smartcraft gauges, including the gas gauges with Raymarine e127 and 3-i70 instruments.

Below are all the facts.
I have a Cruisers 2003 3470 express.
It has twin 496 Mercruiser horizon engines
It has the Mercruiser smartcraft gauges in it (2003)
It has the tachometers, center multi info gauge and 2 gas gauges for the port/stbd tanks
The smartcraft system uses the J1939 merc gateway to the Canbus/NMEA 2k backbone and I have seen the gateway with my own eyes.
All the data that I need and expect out of the merc smartcraft, like fuel consumption, all engine data (oil, water etc.), show up on the Raymarine e127 AND the merc info gauge.
My goal is to replace all the smartcraft gauges with i70s that I just purchased.
But, even though the j1939 spec says it sends the fuel tank levels, and it indeed does send the data to the current merc gas gauges, I cannot get anything on the raymarine side to show fuel tank levels.
I worked with Joel from tech support extensively trying to find a way to display the fuel levels of the tanks… no luck.
I go into MAINTENANCE, DIAGNOSTIC AND SELECT DEVICE and it shows the Mercery marine M3 gateway present and detected.
I have an e127 Raymarine MFD and just purchased 3-i70 Raymarine instruments. The e127 shows all the engine data in detail… just cannot get the fuel levels.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-20, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-20 11:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replacing Merc Smartcraft with Raymarine e127 & I70s
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

Before removing SmartCraft displays having diagnostic features (ex. MercMonitor, etc.) from the vessel, it would be recommended that you verify that your currently installed engine instrumentation, particularly the fuel gauges, are indeed SmartCraft rather than analog gauges. You may also want to consider relocating any SmartCraft displays having diagnostic features should they ever be needed in the future. It would have been a rare instance indeed for a vessel constructed in the early 2000s time period to have OEM installed NMEA 2000 tank level sensors. Typically, vessels of this period were equipped with analog tank level sensors rather than CAN bus sensors. Following such inspection, should you believe that the vessel features CAN bus sensors, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to further troubleshoot this issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply