Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] autopilot to qarmin gps
04-07-20, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 02:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] autopilot to qarmin gps
Hello I Have a RAymarine auto pilot ST6001 How would I connect it to my Garmin GPSMAP 1042. IS it possible.
Thankyou
Sergio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-20, 02:24 PM
RE: [CA11] autopilot to qarmin gps
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Sergio,

Q1. I Have a RAymarine auto pilot ST6001
A1. The ST6001 was an autopilot control head which was designed for use with a number of Raymarine autopilot course computers.

Q2. How would I connect it to my Garmin GPSMAP 1042.
A2. The ST6001 features a NMEA 0183 communications terminals as does the Raymarine autopilot course computer which the ST6001 has been interfaced to. Should you examine the Garmin GPSMAP 1042 Installation Manual, you will find that it features NMEA 0183 I/O leads. You will first need to determine whether you will prefer Garmin GPSMAP 1042 be interfaced to the autopilot course computer Raymarine device or to the ST6001 Raymarine device ... this is simply a preference ... either device may be selected.

- Connect the NMEA 0183 TXA lead of the Garmin GPSMAP 1042 Power/NMEA 0183 Cable to the NMEA 0183 IN+ terminal of the selected Raymarine device; and
- Connect the NMEA 0183 TXB lead of the Garmin GPSMAP 1042 Power/NMEA 0183 Cable to the NMEA 0183 IN- terminal of the selected Raymarine device.
04-08-20, 07:41 PM
Thank you Chuck.
Let me ask you a stupid question . What is the different between connecting to autopilot course computer Raymarine device or to the ST6001 Raymarine device
04-09-20, 07:39 AM
Sergio,

From a functionality standpoint, there is no advantage to interfacing to the autopilot control head vs the autopilot course computer. Accordingly, you may interface to the autopilot component which is easiest for you chase wires to.
04-13-20, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-20 07:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] autopilot to Garmin gps
So I went down to the boat and connected the wires from the carman to the course computer. There is no respond when I put a course in on my Garmin.
04-14-20, 07:56 AM
Sergio,

The chartplotting product must be commanded into navigation mode by commanding it to go to a waypoint / cursor position or to follow a route. Please note that this action will alone not cause the autopilot to do anything. The autopilot must then be commanded into Track mode via the autopilot's control head. If the autopilot is not receiving navigation data after having performed the actions described above, then it will report NO NAV DATA.