Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Helm MFD
04-07-20, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 03:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Helm MFD
Currently our Beneteau 473 has an es128 running Lighthouse 3.11.42. It is mounted at the chart table. We use an iPad mounted at the port helm station while cruising.

In bright sun the iPad is difficult to read so I was wondering if we could mount a 9 inch axiom or Axiom Element at the helm and just connect it to power and seatalkng. Is this possible or does it need to be the master and need extras connected to it?

1500 nit v 600 nit for an iPad would be a great difference for sunny days.

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-20, 03:47 PM
RE: [CA11] Helm MFD
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum ChilliHeat,

While the iPad solution may be a cost effective solution for some applications, they lack the design features of a product which is designed for use within the marine environment and as you have indicated have insufficient backlighting for direct sunlit applications. It would indeed be possible to interface and an Axiom MFD to the backbone to support access to data and devices on the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. However, the same would not be so for an Element display. When interfaced to a backbone to which a MFD had also been interfaced, the Element display would detect the MFD and prevent further use of the Element display until such time as the MFD or Element display had been disconnected from the backbone. Please additionally note that it is not possible to share resources requiring the bandwidth of an Ethernet network (ex. cartography, radar, fishfinders, SiriusXM Satellite Weather, streaming video, etc.) via an SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. eS/gS-Series MFDs running LH3 v3.11.42 may be interfaced via Ethernet communications to Axiom MFDs which are also running LH3 v3.11.42 software.
04-11-20, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 07:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thanks so much.

I have Ethernet to the es128 from the quantum radar, so I assume an Ethernet switch with a branch to the Axiom plus 12V would be all that is required, or does it need Seatalk NG as well?

I would be sharing radar and Navionics, as well as transponder data.

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
04-13-20, 07:41 AM
ChilliHeat,

Q1. I have Ethernet to the es128 from the quantum radar, so I assume an Ethernet switch with a branch to the Axiom plus 12V would be all that is required.
A1. Ethernet communications between the system's MFDs is required to share cartography and radar resources. Utilization of a HS5 RayNet Network Switch is certainly one solution and would add a greater level of redundancy within the system. However, eS12x MFDs feature two Ethernet Network (RayNet) communication ports. Accordingly, should one of these two Ethernet Network communication ports not currently be in use, then it may be connected to the new MFD via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q2. does it need Seatalk NG as well?
A2. Negative. However, some will opt to interface an additional MFD within the system to the backbone for redundancy purposes. In doing so, should the Data Master MFD ever suffer a failure, then the other MFD may be configured as the system's Data Master MFD and will in turn then have access to the data and devices which have been interfaced to the backbone.
04-16-20, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-20 07:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks so much. It’s great to have someone so knowledgeable giving advice.

Cheers
Steve Campbell
Chilli Heat
04-17-20, 08:04 AM
You're welcome.