Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Mercruiser NEMA 2000 gateway to STNG
04-07-20, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 05:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Mercruiser NEMA 2000 gateway to STNG
I have a 2006 Searay 44DB that originally came with Raymarine E120 and Mercruiser Smartcraft Diesel View.
I recently upgraded to the gs165 and installed a STNG backbone to begin networking the entire boat. I purchased a Mercruiser NEMA 2000 gateway to convert the data from the Smartcraft to NEMA 2000 and then to the STNG backbone and eventually display the engine data on the gs165. Everything works as advertised except for fuel quantity on one tank. The data displays on the smartcraft display and the analog gauges so I know it is not a sensor issue. Any idea as to what to look for or how to fix this. I have a friend with the exact same boat, MFD and Gateway with the same issue. I am also seeking a response from Mercruiser but thought I would see if you guys here have seen this issue. I love the STNG system BTW and my gs165.
Thanks
Rusty Mayes

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-20, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-20 05:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Mercruiser NEMA 2000 gateway to STNG
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rusty,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated therein, the most common causes for failure to report fuel level include:
- NMEA 2000 PGN 127505 not being transmitted to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone by the engine gateway
- Incorrect instance IDs being transmitted within NMEA 2000 PGN 127505
- Incorrect Fluid Type being transmitted within NMEA 2000 PGN 127505

The key to solving the problem is to use a NMEA 2000 analyzer to verify the items listed above.
04-09-20, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-20 06:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, Love the forum. Ill check the parameters. Strange that both are displayed on the other gauges but only on one the MFD Via STNG.
CHeers
04-10-20, 07:47 AM
Rusty,

You're welcome.

Q. Strange that both are displayed on the other gauges but only on one the MFD Via STNG.
A. This symptom is entirely consistent with incorrect instance IDs. Again, the NMEA 2000 analyzer is the key to understanding what is actually being transmitted by the SmartCraft gateway.
04-10-20, 05:41 PM
The data sheet that came with my Mercruiser Gateway states in part:

The Gateway assigns 2 tanks per engine up to 4 engines. Tank 1 for each engine is type fuel, tank 2 is data N/A. The Gateway will always assign STBD engine tanks 1 and 2 to NMEA 0 and 1 and PORT engine tanks 1 and 2 to NMEA 2 and 3.

So, if you have 2 tanks - say 1 PORT and 1 STBD, you would logically expect them to be NMEA 0 and 1. But when using the Merc Gateway, they would actually be assigned NMEA 2 and 0.

I shared the same frustration as the thread's author until I found this note in the data sheet.
04-10-20, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-20 04:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I looked up the PGN 127500 codes for my fuel sender data and found the codes attached. It looks to me like indeed the instances are incorrect as they are set to 03 and 02 instead of 0 and 1. Again, the port engine is reading the same percentage that the smart craft is showing and the Starboard is reading 0.
I understand in order to reset the instances I will need a analyzing gateway and a lap top with the proper NEMA 2000 analysis program.
I read on one of the posts that some local distributors may be able to lend such a device or just provide the reprogramming service. Do you have a recommendation of such an entity in the greater SF Bay area with experience. I really hate to pay someone to learn on my system.
Its a bummer that I only have this one parameter that is not playing.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rusty Mayes

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-13-20, 08:08 AM
Rusty,

Q. Do you have a recommendation of such an entity in the greater SF Bay area with experience?
A. Unfortunately, I do not. I can only advise that when contacting Mercury Marine servicing dealer that before contracting one to provide service, that one fully explain the problem to ensure that the dealer fully understands what you are seeking to accomplish (i.e. configure transmitted PGN 127500 Instance ID from the gateway), whether they have the required equipment, and whether they have had experience in performing this or similar service to the output of the gateway.