Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] EV-1 Heading Sensor not Recognized
04-10-20, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 08:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] EV-1 Heading Sensor not Recognized
My Autopilot just quit working one day while I was using it. It displays no gps data. The red light is blinking on the EV-1 Heading sensor. I have a ACU 150 along with two axiom displays. I went on the data display and looked in the data source to look to see if the EV-1 was displayed as the data source for heading g, but it is not. I checked all wiring and everything is good. The axioms just dont recognize the heading sensor. What could be the issue? I have already upgraded the displays and I tried to upgrade the autopilot, but it doesn't give me an option because it's not recognized.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-20, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 09:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] EV-1 Heading Sensor not Recognized
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum FluidDynamic,

It is recommended that the Spur Cable connecting the EV-1 CCU to the backbone be unplugged from both the backbone and EV-1 CCU. The sockets of the EV-1 and backbone network connector should be examined for any evidence of damage or corrosion. If a network connector socket shows signs of corrosion, then it should be replaced. If the socket of the EV-1 CCU shows signs of corrosion, then it should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. The Spur Cable should also be inspected for damage or faulty splicing and replaced / addressed should a problem be identified with the Spur Cable. The Spur Cable should then be plugged back into the spur socket network connector and EV-1 CCU. The locking rings of the network connector and EV-1 CCU should then be rotated into the locked position and the system should be tested for detection of the EV-1 CCU within the MFD's Select Devices list.

Should the problem persist, then the ACU-150 should be unplugged from the backbone and then power to the entire marine electronics system should be cycled (OFF and then ON again). After doing so, then the system should be tested for detection of the EV-1 CCU within the MFD's Select Devices list. If not listed, then the EV-1 CCU should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. If the EV-1 CCU is listed within the MFD's Select Devices list, then it is possible that the EV-1 CCU and ACU-150 may have mis-matched software. It would then be recommended that the software within the EV-1 be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. After doing so, then the ACU-150 should be reconnected to the backbone and if found to not be operating with the latest available software, then its software should also be updated. Please note that any updates to an Evolution autopilot EV-1/EV-2 CCU or ACU should then be followed by the actions specified within the FAQ found Raymarine’s web sitehere.
04-14-20, 01:45 PM
I think I failed to mention the ACU-150 nor the P70 control head are registering within the device list either. I will check everything this afternoon and report my findings.
04-14-20, 02:40 PM
FluidDynamic,

It sounds as though you may have a more basic problem with the backbone or possibly the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications circuitry within the products which have been interfaced to it. It is recommended that you begin by verifying that 12VDC is being supplied to the backbone via the SeaTalkng Power Cable. This may essentially be verified by determining whether the autopilot control head will switch ON. If so, then it is recommended that you use the About System diagnostics feature of the autopilot control to determine whether the autopilot control head is detecting other the devices which have been interfaced to the backbone. If so, then list the devices detected by the autopilot control head.
04-14-20, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-20 06:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The only device found on the control head is the p70 control head it self. No other devices are found. The backbone is working. I have a cp370 sounder and radar that both are working. I have checked all connections and there is no corrosion and they were all turned hearing the two clicks. The EV-1 and p70 are powered on.
04-14-20, 04:09 PM
The only device found on the control head is the p70 control head it self. No other devices are found. The backbone is working. I have a cp370 sounder and radar that both are working. I have checked all connections and there is no corrosion and they were all turned hearing the two clicks.
04-15-20, 08:02 AM
FluidDynamic,

As sounder modules and radar transducers are designed to communicate via Ethernet communications rather than SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, the operation state of these devices would not reflect the operational state of a system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As the devices on the backbone appear to be getting power, but neither the diagnostics features of the MFD or autopilot control head are listing the devices on the backbone (these should include the MFD, autopilot control head, EV-1, and ACU-150), there would appear to be a problem with one of the SeaTalkng networking components (unplug, re-seat, and secure with locking rings all backbone and spur cables), with a termination plug (measure resistance across its CAN_H & CAN_L pins for 120 Ohms), or within the one of the products. More information concerning troubleshooting a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone can be found within the FAQ addressing this subject. Should you need onboard assistance, you may want to consider contacting a Certified Raymarine Installer near you.