Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom highest speed reading
04-11-20, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 09:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom highest speed reading
I have a new Axiom 9 and am going to launch my 21 foot center console in a few days.
In order to determine if I have the 3D transducer properly installed what would be considered an acceptable top speed reading before I loose the bottom signal?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-20, 10:21 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom highest speed reading
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Mystere,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. With a RealVision transducer, the Sonar channel (low power, high frequency CHIRP conical) will typically hold bottom at higher speeds than would be supported by the other sonar channels supported by a RealVision transducer. In a nutshell, all transducers will lose bottom contact at some speed and transom mounted transducers will typically lose bottom before a thru-hull or in-hull transducer. Each hull design can also have an effect upon maintaining bottom. On my 22' deck boat, I can maintain bottom to about 21 MPH, while on my 13' Whaler, I will loose bottom around 10 MPH. Typically for transom mounted transducers, deep drafting hulls will maintain bottom tracking a higher speeds than will shallow drafting hulls. The methods specified within the referenced FAQ apply to all transom mounted transducers.

It should noted that for those who are seeking greater high speed bottom tracking performance with their Axiom products than can be supported by the connected RV or DV transducer, Raymarine offers Y-Cables for these MFDs. The Y-Cable would permit the Axiom DV or Axiom RV MFD's Transducer socket to be simultaneously mated to both a DV or RV transducer and 600W or 1kW (will only be powered w/600W) 50kHz/200kHz transducer. For high speed operation in a boat the size of yours, an in-hull (ex. P79) or low profile thru-hull transducer (ex. B60) would typically be used with the Y-Cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply