Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Suzuki GPS puck compatible?
04-12-20, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-20 01:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Suzuki GPS puck compatible?
Hi,

I have a E97 MFD and as reported previously the GPS is extremely slow...the only thing i havent tried is removing it from the fibreglass dash to see if it improves (It's kinda permanently fitted in dash).

I have recently fitted a Suzuki GPS puck that is connected to the Suzuki gauge via NMEA2000. Can i connect this to the E97 as an external GPS at all?

Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-20, 08:29 PM
RE: [TG11] Suzuki GPS puck compatible?
Hello Richie-mort,

I'd answer your question in two ways:

1. I know my colleague Chuck in the US posted back to you on your e97's internal GPS - which definitely won't work well underneath a carport, but ought to be fine when on the water, mounted in a fibreglass dash. There's a lot more detailed troubleshooting info at http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=10126 which I would suggest looking at.

2. As long as the Suzuki GPS is outputting standard NMEA2000, that should be fine. If they're on the same NMEA2000 network then it should already be available - you may just need to select it as your preferred source of GPS in Home > Settings > System Settings > Data Sources > GPS.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
04-13-20, 09:35 PM
(04-13-20 08:29 PM)Tom - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Hello Richie-mort,

I'd answer your question in two ways:

1. I know my colleague Chuck in the US posted back to you on your e97's internal GPS - which definitely won't work well underneath a carport, but ought to be fine when on the water, mounted in a fibreglass dash. There's a lot more detailed troubleshooting info at http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=10126 which I would suggest looking at.

2. As long as the Suzuki GPS is outputting standard NMEA2000, that should be fine. If they're on the same NMEA2000 network then it should already be available - you may just need to select it as your preferred source of GPS in Home > Settings > System Settings > Data Sources > GPS.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks Tom, yes ive gone through all the threads including yours just the other day (I will try it with differential turned off as i am in Aus). But yes even outside it is slow to acquire etc, not as slow as in carport.

I tried the Suzuki puck (which is on its own NMEA2000 network) and the E97 picked up a fix nearly instantly! BUT.....the E97 was now not showing data like accuracy, time etc? I selected it and turned off internal GPS etc on the E97 too.

Cheers
04-14-20, 02:08 AM
That just depends on whether the GPS is transmitting those messages. Only the COG/SOG and Position messages are essential, sats-in-view and fix-quality data is a nice-to-have and not every device will transmit the same level of detail.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.