Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] ECI-100 & STW
04-21-20, 02:10 AM
RE: [TG11] ECI-100 & STW
Hi Tom
Thanks for the quick reply.
Not sure that is the problem.
With only one engine on at a time, there is still no valid PGN.
I will try disconnecting the engine with the invalid speed signal from the Yamaha backbone, and disconnect the gauges in case they are doing some processing or setting up of the Yamaha engine.
I don't have any idea how the NMEA is implemented on the Yamaha engines and if they do not adhere to the specification in the format of engine parameters the gauge may well do some processing and setup with instancing.
I might poke around a bit under the engine cover and see if there is something I can spot.

I vaguely remember the speed arrangement on these engines is an add on accessory. I will try and find the documentation that came with the engine.

I won't see the Yamaha guy for a while and I am not sure he would know anyway.
cheers
Bernie
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-20, 10:16 PM
Hi Bernie,

I have logged a report that STW isn't being bridged through in your system, but the cause is still open, there being two sources, one invalid, was just a guess on my part.

The STW data looks fine in other respects so I don't think there's anything the engines or gauges are doing wrong, I wouldn't spend too much time on that. Apart from the foible about the engine status reserved bits, I have never had any cause for concern about NMEA2000 data coming from Yamaha engines.

Based on the spec section in the ECI's book I'd say it should be passing that 128259 through, but will need to wait to see what comes of my report to see why it's not. Since this is a relatively low-priority thing - non-critical data and only one reported case - this will take a little while I'm afraid, but I'll come back to you if/when there's an update.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
04-22-20, 05:27 PM
Hi Tom
I went fishing yesterday and there was only a little current. The speed on my Yamaha gauges wasn't fine enough in this instance anyway (I disconnected the GPS from them), so I guess the same thing would apply to the MFD anyway.
Maybe I need to investigate the resolution of external speed sensors. No one appears to have figures though.
Thanks for your help.
cheers
Bernie
04-28-20, 01:00 AM
Hi Tom
Just for completeness, I investigated the speed sensor on my engines. The speed sensor is an add on accessory.
I guess its up to the installer whether they add it or not.
In my case there is a speed sensor on one motor only.
It appears both engines send the PGNs but one of them will have invalid data. It seems the gauges have no problem and must just ignore the invalid data.
I assume most displays would ignore invalid data.
cheers
Bernie