Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] e95 MFD Freezes and Continuously Reboots
04-14-20, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-20 01:56 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] e95 MFD Freezes and Continuously Reboots
My e95 MFD has provided yeoman service since new in 2014. My normal routine is to install my Navionics Platinium+ chart card in microSD1 and my data card in mircoSD2 with the power off. I then power up the MFD via the circuit breaker. In the past this has always resulted in a normal startup and allows the full functionality of the MFD. Starting this season, the e95 freezes at startup and does not respond to any soft key or hard button commands. After power is applied it skips through the legal page and seems to freeze when loading the chart card information (the little yellow timer stops at about 1/4 of the clock). After about 20-30 secs the MFD reboots itself and this cycle continues. The odd thing about this is that it only happens if I use my Platinum+ (2019) card and insert it in microSD1 and a data card is in slot 2. Any other combination results in a normal startup. Example achieving normal startup is:

- - Platinum+ (2019) in slot 1 with slot 2 empty. Once normal startup has been achieved, I can then insert the data card into slot 2 and everything is fine.
- Platinum+ (2019) in slot 2 and data card in slot 1.
- data card in slot 1 and slot 2 empty. Once normal startup has been achieved, I can then insert the Platinum+ (2019) into slot 2 and everything is fine
- both slot 1 and 2 empty. Once normal startup has been achieved, I can then insert the Platinum+ (2019) into slot 1 and the data card into slot 2 and everything is fine

What is very interesting is that if I use an older Platinum+ card (2014) I get a normal startup even with the Platinum+ (2014) card in slot 1 and the data card in slot 2 at power up.
I have done a factory reset and tested each microSD slot using Chuck's forum procedure. I have also tried different data SD cards from various manufacturers and various capacities. But the MFD continues to freeze and reboot with the Platinum+ (2019) in slot 1 and data card in slot 2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-20, 01:55 PM
RE: [CA11] e95 MFD Freezes and Continuously Reboots
Hello Below,

Please verify that your MFD has been updated with LightHouse II v19.03 software, and if not, then update the MFD's software accordingly. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the chart card's contents be updated and that any files and folders which were not initially stored within the chart card's root level directory be removed (it would be recommended that Navionics (508-291-6000) be consulted regarding the latter two items. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the chart card be tested within the reader slots of an other e-Series MFD to further fault isolate the problem ... Raymarine's Product Repair Center may facilitate such testing. If sending the card in to be tested, you may want to consider sending the MFD in as well.
04-17-20, 07:04 PM
So it seems the problem lies with the Navionics Platinum+ chart card. Navionics tried their best to assist; however, in the end because the card had expired 2 months ago, their final advice was to renew the subscription. I did purchase and activate a Navionics+ Updates card yesterday and it works fine in the e95.

It appears that the workaround maybe to insert the suspect chart card only after the mfd has achieved power up. The Raymarine e95 mfd and Platinum+ chart card pair seem to perform as intended. All in all a minor inconvenience to a functioning mfd and Platinum+ chart card.

Thank you for your assistance
04-20-20, 09:36 AM
You're welcome.