Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 7 depth transducer.
04-15-20, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-20 07:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 7 depth transducer.
Hi, Ive recently purchased the axiom 7 chartplotter (just the basic model not the DV). I have a 30ft glass hull boat and I'll need a through hull transducer for depth. I'm wondering which transducer I will need and how its connected to the plotter? I'm hearing it needs to go through the nmea2000 connection . Just wondering what I need and what kind of display I can expect on the plotter. Just a depth number? Or will I get a screen with contours aswell? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-20, 08:05 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 7 depth transducer.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Rtanner1,

Axiom MFDs lacking internal DV or RV fishfinding circuitry (both models additionally feature 600W 50kHz / 200kHz fishfinding circuitry) will not be able to support fishfinding features unless it has been:

- interfaced to a compatible fishfinder sonar module, which in turn has been interfaced to a compatible fishfinder transducer; and/or

- interfaced to an Axiom DV or RV MFD, which in which in turn has been interfaced to a compatible fishfinder transducer; and/or

- interfaced to an Axiom Pro MFD, which in which in turn has been interfaced to a compatible fishfinder transducer.

If seeking to simply have the MFD report a numerical depth value, then the Axiom MFD may be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which one or more of the following have been interfaced:

- iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter, which in turn has been interfaced to a compatible analog instrument depth or depth/speed/temp transducer. This option has the advantage of being able to configure instrument depth related alarms and to configure depth offsets (ex. keel offset) via the MFD's user interface.

- i50 Depth / Tridata instrument which in turn has been interfaced to a compatible analog instrument depth or depth/speed/temp transducer. This option would require that instrument depth related alarms and depth offsets (ex. keel offset) be configured via the instrument's user interface.

- an i70S MFID and Raymarine Smart depth or depth/speed/temp transducer. This option would require that instrument depth related alarms and depth offsets (ex. keel offset) be configured via the i70S user interface. The i70S can also repeat data from the networked system components (ex. GPS, BTW, etc.).

Note: it interfacing a third party NMEA 2000 Smart depth or depth/speed/temp transducer to the backbone, the MFD will be unable to configure depth related alarms and depth offsets.
04-16-20, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-20 09:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply ! So with the proper raymarine setup, will I get any kind of contour display or simply a depth number ?
04-16-20, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-20 10:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q. So with the proper raymarine setup, will I get any kind of contour display or simply a depth number ?
A. As indicated within my initial response, you will essentially have two options. If you are seeking to have Fishfinder application produce a graphical bottom plot (click here to view examples), then any of the first set of options provided within my initial response may be used to achieve that end. If you are simply seeking to have your MFD report a numerical depth value, then any of the second set of options provided within my initial response may be used to achieve that end. Finally, if simply seeking to display depth contours within the Chart application, then one need have a compatible chart card within the MFD's memory card reader. If seeking to have high resolution depth contours (see image below) displayed within the Chart application, then a Navionics+ (updated to include SonarCharts), Navionics Platinum Plus, or C-Map 4D MAX+ chart card would need to be present within the MFD's memory card reader (or that of a networked MFD or remote card reader) and the detailed cartography (Fishing Charts) would need to be selected from the Chart application's menu.
[Image: SonarCharts.png]
04-16-20, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-20 07:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for all your help Chuck. It looks like my best bet is to return my basic axiom 7 (which is brand new) and pay a little extra for the DV model. I spoke with my local dealer and they are willing to exchange it however I have already registered the unit I have now for the warranty. Can this be cancelled ?
04-17-20, 07:57 AM
Rtanner1,

Regarding the warranty registration concern, it is recommended that Raymarine's Warranty Dept. (warranty@raymarine.com) be contacted on this matter. Please additionally note, that should the MFD be used within a sailing application and should the MFD be installed within a binnacle pod, then it would not be recommended that the MFD within the binnacle pod feature internal fishfinder sonar circuitry. As indicated within the FAQ found here, for those seeking fishinding sonar features, it is recommended that a compatible fishfinder sonar module(s) supporting the desired type(s) of sonar imaging be installed onboard and that the fishfinder sonar module (s) be interfaced to the system's Ethernet network switch. Doing so will eliminate having to chase a fishfinder transducer cable through a binacle tube. Alternatively, another compatible MFD having internal fishinder sonar circuitry matching the type of fishfinder sonar imaging desired may be installed in another more accessible location onboard (ex. navigation station, lower helm, etc.) and will then be interfaced the system's Ethernet network switch. The fishfinder transducer(s) will then be interfaced this second MFD's fishfinder transducer socket or to the fishfinder sonar module(s).

Accordingly, should this be a sailing application and should the MFD be installed within a binnacle pod, then it would not be recommended that a CP100 DownVision Sounder Module and a CPT-S or DownVision transducer be installed. Alternatively, an Axiom DV MFD may be installed at the navigation station below. The Axiom DV MFD would likewise CPT-S or DownVision transducer. The CP100 DownVision Sounder Module or Axiom DV MFD will be interfaced to the binnacle mounted MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.