Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Navionics: Cannot remove/adjust red dotted warning depth area
04-18-20, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-20 03:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Navionics: Cannot remove/adjust red dotted warning depth area
We have two MFDs, networked via SeaTalk ng, with Navionics card installed at the helm. There is an annoying blue area with red dots in relatively shallow areas (seems to be aimed at less than 30 or 50 feet, but we routinely find this area at more than 150 feet), that we can't seem to adjust or remove. The issue is that at some zoom levels, these dots interfere with the ability of the user to spot ACTUAL red dots representing rocks and other hazards. I have combed through all the settings and info online, and can't find any solution. Is there a way to adjust/remove this depth warning area?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-20, 03:21 PM
RE: [CA11] Navionics: Cannot remove/adjust red dotted warning depth area
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

I believe that you will find that the Navionics objects which you have referenced will be hidden when Caution Areas objects are hidden.
04-21-20, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-20 01:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck-
We have in fact tried toggling on and off Caution Areas in the Menu > Presentation > Objects page, with no effect on the display. (see dump 05) I might remember (I'm old) that I turned it on at one point, but we've never been able to turn it off.

I'm attaching a screenshot (dump 01) that perfectly illustrates the danger of the graphic representation of this "caution area." This is a pass between a point and island, commonly transited by boats entering and leaving Banderas Bay, at a 1nm zoom level, so very realistic navigation situation.

Adding to the annoyance, it doesn't even display consistently, and is often displaying over areas that are more than 150ft deep for miles. Drives us crazy. See other attached screenshot for area where it seems to have been dropped in one square grid right next to an area where it is still present (dump 06).

04-21-20, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-20 01:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Randy,

Unfortunately, our only copy of Navionics cartography including Mexican waters is a Navionics NAV+ chart card which has been populated with cartography for the US and Canada. This chart card only provided limited detailed cartography of Baja and provided no detail further south. I would recommend making comparisons with the Chart Viewer on the Navionics web site as a first step when cartography issues arise. Features such as those within your screen snapshots appear to be very consistent with what I see with the Navionics Chart Viewer (see below) for Mexican waters. It appears that the dotted areas may be indicative of areas lacking detailed cartography, and as such may not be configured OFF via any of the Chart application's Objects settings. As suggested within another thread which you had posted, these MFDs are compatible with not only Navionics cartography, but also with C-Map and LightHouse Charts. It may be possible that one of these other cartography sources provides better cartography for Mexican waters.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4411]