Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Networked MFDs with CPU/resource issues
04-18-20, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-20 05:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Networked MFDs with CPU/resource issues
Hi There-
We are cruising full time, currently in Mexico. We have two MFDs networked (via SeaTalk ng): An A65 at the helm, and an ES98 at the nav station. Also other various Ray devices. We are running Navionics Platinum+ chart card in the A65 unit, since we want SonarChart Live data visible to the person at the helm.

Like other posters on this forum, we are discovering that the CPU/Memory resources of these MFDs are no match for the flood of data created by the SonarChart Live feature, especially when coupled with multiple tracks, etc. We have ghost rebooting issues, screen draw issues, freezing issues, etc. The unit at the helm is almost unusable.

Questions:
1) It is my understanding that LightHouse 3 is available for our ES unit, but not the A, and therefore we should NOT update. Correct?

2) Is there any update in the works for Lighthouse 2, to change the way the units handle data by default?

3) Given the limited capability of the A unit, is there (PLEASE!) a way we can run the chart card in the ES unit (taking advantage of more computing power), but still display SonarChart Live data on the unit at the helm?

4) Has Ray/Navionics considered an option where the system only logs SonarChart Live below a certain depth? These numbers are not meaningful to us at depths greater than 75 or 100 feet, but we don't really have the option of shutting it off, as we are often traveling in areas where there is NO current depth information, or one very outdated (and inaccurate) lead line depth recorded from the 1800's every mile or two.

4 a) The idea that we "turn off sonar logging when this data is not needed" is, I'm sure you can agree, not a very workable solution for those sailing full time in often skinny water. What other actions can we take to reduce the data load on these MFDs, or other ways to lighten the load and improve their usability?

5) In order to get these MFDs up and running closer to capacity again, do you recommend a power on reset? If so, which order do we do them in? With chart card installed, or no?

Any answers and details you can provide are much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-20, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-20 07:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Networked MFDs with CPU/resource issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randy,

General Comment: Sonar logging, combined with the SonarChart Live feature are indeed a useful features. While most customers will not experience issues such as you have reported due to the duration time spent on the water, those who will be operating for extended periods of time (ex. more than 12 hours) are recommended to enable Sonar Logging only when need. Please additionally note that SonarChart Live plots for areas which have already been logged can be displayed without enabling Sonar Logging. As you have suggested, the FAQ found here addresses this subject.

Should the symptoms which you have reported with your a-Series MFD persist when the Sonar Logging feature has been disabled, then it would be recommended that the MFD be serviced.

Q1) It is my understanding that LightHouse 3 is available for our ES unit, but not the A, and therefore we should NOT update. Correct?
A1. Should the MFDs be interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network, then the eS-Series MFD will need to remain operating LightHouse II. However, as your MFDs have been interfaced to one another instead via a SeaTalkng network, then the eS-Series MFD may indeed be updated with LightHouse 3 software.

Q2) Is there any update in the works for Lighthouse 2, to change the way the units handle data by default?
A2) Negative. LightHouse II software development concluded three years ago.

Q3) Given the limited capability of the A unit, is there a way we can run the chart card in the ES unit (taking advantage of more computing power), but still display SonarChart Live data on the unit at the helm?
A3) As suggested above, these MFDs were intended to be networked to one another via Ethernet rather than SeaTalk communications. Such networking would permit sharing of resources (ex. cartography, radar, etc.) and data by the system's networked MFDs. However, I would not expect to see any significant improvement, as slow redraw is a function of the quantity of data to be rendered, the memory, processing speed, and graphics of the MFD. The a-Series MFDs were Raymarine's lower cost alternative to the c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, which feature greater memory and processing speed.

Q4) Has Ray/Navionics considered an option where the system only logs SonarChart Live below a certain depth? These numbers are not meaningful to us at depths greater than 75 or 100 feet, but we don't really have the option of shutting it off, as we are often traveling in areas where there is NO current depth information, or one very outdated (and inaccurate) lead line depth recorded from the 1800's every mile or two.
A4) Sonar Logging and the SonarChart Live feature are essentially features reliant upon historical data taken by the vessel. They have no capability to predict water depth forward of the vessel. While the Sonar Logging feature provides no aid in seeing the bottom in advance of the vessel to support safe passage when first transiting a body of water, it does provide data (via the SonarChart Live feature) which would be of value when traveling back via the path last taken. For those utilizing the SonarLogging feature within MFDs running LightHouse II software, it is recommended that the MFDs be switched off and restarted every 12-24 hours. As indicated above LightHouse II development ended three years ago. However, this problem has not been reported within systems running LightHouse 3 software.

Q4a) The idea that we "turn off sonar logging when this data is not needed" is, I'm sure you can agree, not a very workable solution for those sailing full time in often skinny water. What other actions can we take to reduce the data load on these MFDs, or other ways to lighten the load and improve their usability?
A4a) See my response to A4.

Q5) In order to get these MFDs up and running closer to capacity again, do you recommend a power on reset? If so, which order do we do them in? With chart card installed, or no?
A5) With regard to the Sonar Logging feature, this may show brief improvement. However, the problem will re-occur if the sonar logging feature is left on for extended periods of time. Additionally, processing speed is dependent upon the amount of logged data, which must in turn be processed and rendered. Should you find that the Navionics cartography in the area being navigated be be insufficient in detail, then you may want to consider use of C-Map or LightHouse Charts (when the Raymarine Chart Store re-opens late in this quarter) for the geographic region of operation. Screen shot comparisons of the different cartography types may aid in any decision to move forward with one of these alternative types of cartography.
05-20-20, 02:52 PM
Hi Chuck-
Thanks again for all the good input. Still frustrated with erratic function here, and loss of key features. So... I want to do a power-on reset. I know we'll have to reconfigure the unit after, but I think it will be worth it.

My question from before still stands - Q5: With networked MFDs, which order do we do them in? With chart card installed, or no?

In particular, the instructions I found here (https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=2833) for a/c/e etc. units indicates "pressing a 'back' button." There is no "back" button that I'm aware of on the a65 unit, which is full touch screen. What am I missing? How do we proceed?
05-26-20, 09:09 PM
Hi randy@onlinecruisingguide.com,

To do a power-on-reset on your a65 follow these steps;

1. Turn the unit off
2. Turn the unit back on
3. When the Splash Screen appears press and hold the Power key
4. After the Splash screen you should see a Dark screen
5. Press the Power Button until you highlight 'Reset FLOB' and a countdown will appear
6. Wait until the Countdown finishes and the unit will reset and it will reboot

Hope this helps

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules
05-29-20, 07:01 PM
Hi Jules-
Thanks for your reply. Still looking for answers to these questions:

1) If multiple MFDs are networked, is it advised to factory reset ALL? If so, in what order (Master vs. Slaves), if it matters?

2) Chart card in or out? I assume this does not matter.
06-01-20, 01:23 AM
Hi randy@onlinecruisingguide.com,

Q. 1) If multiple MFDs are networked, is it advised to factory reset ALL? If so, in what order (Master vs. Slaves), if it matters?
A. 1) Factory resets are used when there are issues that can't be resolved any other way and the system is reset to start "Fresh" or when software updates do not correctly install. Reset if there is a need not just because.

Q. 2) Chart card in or out? I assume this does not matter.
A. 2) I would always take the card out. MicroSD cards are known to fail regularly and at times can stop a display from booting up. Removing then I beileve is good practice.

Happy boating and kind regards
Jules