Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS 700 working but does not show as a GPS source
04-20-20, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-20 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS 700 working but does not show as a GPS source
I have a small network, Quantum Radar, ITC5, I50 depth and speed, I60 Wind, P70 autopilot, AIS700,EV400 and EV1 autopilot, Axiom 7 at the Nav Station, Axiom 9 at the helm, and the transducers that interface with the ITC5. Power is in the middle with about max 30 foot runs on one side and max 15 on the other. Wiring length is because there are not intermediate lengths.

I thought when I first turned on the AIS it took over the GPS data provider role. I must be wrong as only the Axiom 7 and 9 show as GPS sources. Is that correct? Why would the AIS not show as a GPS source? I can't put external antennas on the Axioms so I would like the AIS 700 to be the source as it has a nice external antenna.

If I am doing something wrong I hope someone can help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-20, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-20 03:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] AIS 700 working but does not show as a GPS source
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum slavanway,

Please note that many AIS transceivers are not designed to output GPS date. If interfaced to the system via NMEA 2000 communications, you may verify whether your AIS transceiver is outputting GPS data by:
- use the Data Sources feature of the autopilot control head to determine whether the third party AIS transceiver is listed as a GPS data source; or

- disabling the internal GPS receiver of each MFD ... and any other sources of GPS data except for the AIS transceiver, and then

- use the MFD's NMEA Messages diagnostic feature (HOME->SETTINGS->NETWORK->DIAGNOSTICS->NMEA DEVICES & MESSAGES->NMEA MESSAGES) for PGN 129025 Position, Rapid Update message and ensure that it is populated with the vessel's position.

Should the above be satisfied, then please be aware that Raymarine is presently investigating a problem with LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 in which 3rd party NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 GPS data are not being listed within the Data Sources feature. It is expected that this issue will be addressed within a future LightHouse 3 software update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply