Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] AIS650 to C140W
04-24-20, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-20 03:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] AIS650 to C140W
I have bought at AIS650 that I want to connect to my C140W MFD.
I took for granted that I could connect via my STNG-backbone.
But reading the MFD manual and threads here has left me confused!

Can I connect via STNG or will I have to use NMEA0183?
I have a E80 MFD connected also, will AIS info be shown there if connected via NMEA?

TIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-20, 03:13 PM
RE: [CA11] AIS650 to C140W
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TIA,

Q1. Can I connect via STNG or will I have to use NMEA0183?
A1. The choice is yours. Indeed, should the system presently include a C-Series Widescreen MFD (C90W, C120W, C140W) and should the system presently feature a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then all one need do with regard to interfacing the AIS650 to the system would be to interface it to an available spur (white) socket within the backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. When so interfaced, not only will the C-Series Widescreen MFD (operating with the latest available Raymarine product software update) to receive AIS data, but will also be able to control the Silent Mode state of the AIS650.

Q2. I have a E80 MFD connected also, will AIS info be shown there if connected via NMEA?
A2. Negative. This is a bit of an unusal system where it features both an E-Series Classic MFD and a C-Series Widescreen MFD. E-Series Classic MFDs (E80, E120) must be interfaced via bidirectional 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications an AIS650 to not only permit the E-Series Classic MFD (operating with the latest available Raymarine product software update) to receive AIS data, but to also control the Silent Mode state of the AIS650.
04-25-20, 09:21 AM
Thank you!
Up til now l’ve had a AIS250 that was NMEA-connected to the C140W and the Ais-targets was visible on the E80(connected via STNG, will open the hatches and double check)...
04-27-20, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-20 07:35 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Pan76,

C-Series Widescreen MFDs were not designed and tested to bridge AIS data to SeaTalkng. Should the E-Series Classic MFD not have been interfaced to the AIS250 via NMEA 0183 and should it presently support displaying AIS target data, then it would appear that you may have interfaced the E-Series Classic MFD to the C-Series Widescreen MFD via Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) networking. Please note that E-Series Classic MFDs are have only been designed and tested to be interfaced via Ethernet communications to other E-Series Classic MFDs. Similarly, C-Series Widescreen MFDs have only been designed and tested to be interfaced via Ethernet communications to one other C-Series Classic MFDs. C-Series Widescreen MFDs have not been designed and tested to be interfaced via Ethernet communications to other models of MFDs.
04-27-20, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-20 02:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I was totally wrong (not fully familiar with the installation yet) ... Ais-targets were not shown on E80. And it is connected via Seatalk 1. I will replace the E80 with a C90W interfaced via STNG.

Q2. The link in the instructions for updating the software for the C-series doesn’t work.
Where can I download the software (v2.35)?
04-27-20, 02:15 PM
Q1. I was totally wrong (not fully familiar with the installation yet) ... Ais-targets were not shown on E80. And it is connected via Seatalk 1. I will replace the E80 with a C90W interfaced via STNG.
A1. Noted.

Q2. The link in the instructions for updating the software for the C-series doesn’t work.
Where can I download the software (v2.35)?
A2. Please try the link again. I have verified that it is indeed operational. From Raymarine's website, software updates for the C-Series Widescreen MFDs may also be accessed by selecting SUPPORT->SOFTWARE UPDATES->MFD SOFTWARE->LEGACY MFDS->C-SERIES WIDESCREEN
04-27-20, 02:46 PM
Changed browser and found it!

I have no other CF-card under 2GB except the Navionics-card. Can I use it for software update?

Thanks for all help!
04-27-20, 04:00 PM
Pan76,

While straying a bit off of the original topic of this thread, C/E-Series Widescreen MFDs are not subject to the memory card restrictions of A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs. CF memory cards up to 32GB may be used to update the software within C/E-Series Widescreen MFDs