Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Anti fouling on RV-220
04-27-20, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-20 02:33 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Anti fouling on RV-220
First some background:
Last year I had a set of RV-220 (bronze pack, T70319), along with other electronics, installed. Per the instructions in the installation manual, I brush painted the transducers (both the bronze housing and the black "working" parts with 2 coats of a red, water based, ablative, anti-fouling paint (Interlux Micron WA). The color would allow me to see when the paint wore off. No primer or special prep was used

The boat was hauled this past fall and the yard pressure washed the bottom of the boat before putting it on the stands. The transducers still have some paint on them, both on the bronze and the black parts, while other parts of them are bare.

Where paint remains, there is no fouling.

Where no paint remains (both on the bronze and black parts, parts are very clean, but there are a few spots where groups of pin head sized white growths have formed (baby barnacles?).

It is possible that the places where there was no pant and no growth, that the remaining paint was washed off by the pressure washer during haul-out.

Questions:
1. Was the Micron WA an appropriate paint to use?
2. Should/could I use a special metal anti fouling paint on the bronze parts? (e.g. VELOX+)
3. Is there any special prep needed on the black parts prior to applying the anti-fouling?
4. Though not mention in the instructions, an FAQ mentions that copper based anti fouling should not be used. I could not find any info on the Micron WA data sheet about copper content, though it does mention 36% solids . Please comment about the copper concerns.
5. Do I just need more coats of paint (3 or 4 total)?
6. OK to use green Scotch Brite to clean up the white spots?

Put 100 hours on the boat last year. Cruising speed 18-20 knots, top speed 30 knots. Water temp max 85 but generally below 80. Docked in salt water (Long Island Sound, CT). Boat is in from early May thru the end of October.

Sorry for the book. Wanted to give you as much info as possible.'

Thanks
Steve.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-20, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-20 04:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Anti fouling on RV-220
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Q1. Was the Micron WA an appropriate paint to use?
A1. While not bad, it would not have been the preferred choice. It is generally recommended that water based antifouling paints specifically designed for transducers be used. Examples include Pettit Transducer Paint, MDR Transducer Paint, Aquaguard Transducer Paint, etc.

Q2. Should/could I use a special metal anti fouling paint on the bronze parts? (e.g. VELOX+)
A2. The paints referenced in my response to Q1 may be applied to the entire exposed surface of the transducer.

Q3. Is there any special prep needed on the black parts prior to applying the anti-fouling?
A3. Follow the transducer paint manufacturer's instructions.

Q4. Though not mention in the instructions, an FAQ mentions that copper based anti fouling should not be used. I could not find any info on the Micron WA data sheet about copper content, though it does mention 36% solids . Please comment about the copper concerns.
A4. Metal content within paints may cause galvanic corrosion.

Q5. Do I just need more coats of paint (3 or 4 total)?
A5. Follow the transducer paint manufacturer's instructions.

Q6. OK to use green Scotch Brite to clean up the white spots?
A6. Yes.
04-27-20, 04:06 PM
Thank you Chuck. Just a quick followup.

The Petit and Aquafard products are both spray can items. The instructions and FAQ suggest not to use spray products.

The MDR brushes on, but contains copper.

Your thoughts?

Steve.
04-27-20, 04:28 PM
Steve,

Q1. The Petit and Aquafard products are both spray can items. The instructions and FAQ suggest not to use spray products.
A1. As the RealVision transducers do not feature moving parts (one of the reasons for not using an aerosol), it would then be completely acceptable to use an aerosol transducer paint as long as the propellant does not feature keytones (recommend checking with the paint manufacturer).

Q2. The MDR brushes on, but contains copper.
A2. Unlike copper based antifouling paints, MDR utilizes cuprous oxide. MDR advertises it a safe for thru hull plastic or bronze transducers and is probably the most commonly used transducer paint on the market.
04-27-20, 04:32 PM
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

Be safe in these crazy times.

Steve.
04-28-20, 07:33 AM
You're welcome.
04-30-20, 05:30 PM
Sorry to open this up again.

Ordered the MDR transducer paint. Received it and just read the instructions. Their prep instructions are to lightly sand it and clean with mineral spirits (I assume to create a surface that is easier to adhere to). Then paint in the same direction as the sanding marks (2 coats).

The RV-220 installation/maintenance instructions suggest only mild soap and water to clean the transducer and to avoid scratching the face of the transducer.

I understand that I am being overly cautious, but some direction would be helpful. I do not want to damage the transducers.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steve.
05-04-20, 08:40 AM
Hi Steve,

Do not sand the transducer. Make sure it is very clean using soap and water and apply the paint.

Chris,
05-04-20, 08:59 AM
Thank you.

Steve
05-04-20, 01:38 PM
Your welcome