Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 9 Reboot issues
04-28-20, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-20 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 9 Reboot issues
Hello there! I'm brand new to this site ( and Raymarine equipment built after 1992); so please bare with me if I don't give enough technical details:
I posted this ( I thought) as a response to another thread; but it disappeared on me... it may be that I wasn't cleared by a Mod yet. :)

I have a newly acquired '19 Whaler, factory installed with an Axiom 9, tied into no other equipment, other than an external SD card drive in the dash, that's being used for a Navoionics chip.
The unit won't recognize the chart in the external drive most times, or the presence of an external drive and requires that I turn the unit completely off and eject the card; then re install with the unit powered up to recognize the chart.

It's also rebooted itself 4 times, in about 7 hours of total boating time. In all 4 cases I was using the Navionics chart. In 2 of the 4 cases it rebooted itself, but in 2 of them it locked up completely in a reboot loop, and I had to completely remove power from the unit to get it to restart. I did get an error message once that said "no chart data on file" - and once that was cleared, the unit restarted itself.

Silly question as well - The boat had a Mercury motor with the Vessel View Mobile unit- shouldn't I also be able to read and recognize engine data from the MFD? I have no idea if they installed a NMEA 2000 backbone or not; but I can't imagine they wouldn't.

I'd planned on adding a FLIR or Q2 radar to the boat this season, and the other next season ; but there seems to be several scattered threads about this reboot issue, under various topics and conditions; many of which it appears haven't gotten past the "send us your error logs and crash files " stage. I'm Leary of adding variables to a system that's being this pesky. Because it's a brand new unit, what are my warranty options if any?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-20, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 01:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Axiom 9 Reboot issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

With respect to the cartography / rebooting / freezing issue, please ensure that the MFD has been updated with LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software (HOME->SETTINGS) and that a Power ON Factory Reset has been performed upon completion of the software update. Upon completion, the MFD's settings should be manually reconfigured rather than restored from a saved settings file. Should the MFD's software already be at v3.11.42 and should you, yourself not have performed the Power ON Factory Reset, then please do so (as well as manually configuring the MFD's settings), as it should address most cartography related issues (including software stability) with the system. Please additionally be aware that Raymarine has been working a Chart application stability issue associated with the Navionics software libraries supplied to Raymarine for developing the LightHouse 3 software. A fix related to this stability issue is expected to be included within the upcoming LightHouse 3 v3.12.x software update.

Should the problem of intermittent ability to read cartography from the Navionics chart card persist, then the issue may be caused by dirty microSD card contacts or a fault within the reading device. Intermittent ability to read data from the chart card can additionally be responsible for the stability issues reported with the Chart application. Try cleaning the chart card's contacts as the first step in addressing such issues. This may explain why the results are intermittent. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that the chart card be tested within the MFD's memory card reader located on the MFD's back side. Should the problem persist with the Navionics chart card located within the MFD's memory card reader, then the problem would be determined to be with the Navionics chart card and it would be recommended that the chart card be returned to Navionics (508-291-6000) for replacement. However, should the problem abate when the Navionics chart card is inserted within the MFD's memory card reader, then it would indicate a problem with the remote card reader. In the case of the latter, your Boston Whaler dealership or a Certified Raymarine Installer may be contacted replace the remote card reader under warranty.

Regarding the ability of the MFD to view / utilize engine data, should the MFD be physically connected to nothing other than the remote card reader, then the MFD would have no access to engine data. In order to view engine / utilize engine data, the MFD must be interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the engine system's NMEA 2000 gateway has also been interfaced. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
04-29-20, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 01:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you, Chuck!
I'm confident that no software updates have taken place, so I'll see what's in the unit now.
That gives me several things to look into and eliminate- I'll be sure to post a follow up if it get's resolved!

I'm getting a message that there isn't enough internal memory available for the update; which is 1.1 GB. Please advise-

Thanks!

Jim
04-29-20, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 01:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jim,

Q. I'm getting a message that there isn't enough internal memory available for the update; which is 1.1 GB. Please advise-
A. Unlike the memory packed Axiom Pro and Axiom XL MFDs, the Axiom MFDs feature less internal memory and are reliant upon temporary use of memory within a microSD card within the MFD's memory card reader when updating the MFD's software via WiFi or updating the MFD's software via another networked MFD. Should no memory card be in the MFD's memory card reader or should the microSD card (typically a chart card) within the MFD's memory card reader not have approximately 2GB of available storage, then the reported message will be displayed. Accordingly, this symptom may be addressed by inserting a microSD memory card having at at least 2GB of available storage into the MFD's memory card reader when performing the update.